Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Diving after YAG laser capsulotomy

I had IOL surgery about 18 months ago I the capsule the lens is in has a build up of cells, and this means that I need a YAG laser capsulotomy.

This is booked for next Friday, but at the consultation today I forgot to ask about diving after it.
    From a quick look online swimming should be fine within a week, but I can't find anything about diving, and wondered if anyone here had been through it and could give an idea of how long after they were allowed to dive.

I will of course ask the surgeon, but just thought I would get an idea now if I could.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I gather this is not a problem. Someone I know had this done a few years ago and is happily diving and enjoying the lack of spectacles. I can put you in touch if you want to discuss it with him.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You could give DDRC a call.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    I gather this is not a problem. Someone I know had this done a few years ago and is happily diving and enjoying the lack of spectacles. I can put you in touch if you want to discuss it with him.
    If you can just ask how long after the YAG he was cleared to dive that would be great.

After the original IOL surgery it was several months before diving, but that involved incisions in the eye, the YAG treatment doesn't.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    If you can just ask how long after the YAG he was cleared to dive that would be great.
    Although IOL surgery was in 2016, he had the YAG laser treatment this July. He was essentially told that he could have gone diving immediately afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    After the original IOL surgery it was several months before diving, but that involved incisions in the eye, the YAG treatment doesn't.
    It will depend entirely on the ophthalmologist's advice but he was diving within 2 weeks of his original IOL treatment. He was told that a week would have been OK.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks, this gives me hope for getting my end of the year dip in on the 29th.