Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Last time I renewed our monthly contract it actually made sense to go for the latest phone - the additional cost between SIM only and the new phone was 10 but the SIM only deal only had half the data (below the level where I felt there was a decent chance of blowing through it quite a few times during the contract).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Lol. I'm still running an iPhone5. It makes and receives calls, can access the internet, takes a snap, and fits in my pocket. And if I lose or break it (on my third now) I can get another for 20, and recover everything from the cloud. I still believe it is a pretty perfect bit of function/form industrial design.
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Lol. I'm still running an iPhone5. It makes and receives calls, can access the internet, takes a snap, and fits in my pocket. And if I lose or break it (on my third now) I can get another for 20, and recover everything from the cloud. I still believe it is a pretty perfect bit of function/form industrial design.
    Very sensible. If on the other hand you want to add apps and are short of diskspace then older phones that typically have 16gb drives can be a bit limiting.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    *shrug* what can I say? Purposeful objects are what they are. Combination devices are all about compromise aren't they? I'm a phone-is-a-phone kinda guy. Apps are brilliant, but I have a tablet to make the most out of those. I'm no luddite, but have in the past dived with an AirII and found the concept wanting!
    Last edited by BenL; 09-12-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Since there are some clever people in here and I'm not...

the ubuntu phone never got off the ground sadly, but when my current phone dies what is the best option to get onto some sort of open source OS? I'm getting more irritated with my sony phone that's endlessly updating shite that I never wanted on there and can't uninstall.
    I used to use linux on the PC so wondered if there was a way to get it on the phone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Android is a linux variant. Google have a programme for devices that ship with 'vanilla' android, i think its called 'one'. look out for those phones.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ebt View Post
    Android is a linux variant. Google have a programme for devices that ship with 'vanilla' android, i think its called 'one'. look out for those phones.
    Aye I knew that much but in the form you get it on modern smart phones it's a mile away from the ubuntu (that I should have said!) which was nice and lightweight with no bloatware.

I'll keep an eye out for "one" but I'm also leaning in a bit of a tinfoil hat direction about googles seemingly ever increasing grip on life.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Aye I knew that much but in the form you get it on modern smart phones it's a mile away from the ubuntu (that I should have said!) which was nice and lightweight with no bloatware.

I'll keep an eye out for "one" but I'm also leaning in a bit of a tinfoil hat direction about googles seemingly ever increasing grip on life.
    You have the choice of basically two systems who will take the same amount of information about you - Android or Apple IOS. Android comes in various flavours however with bare Android (Googles own phones) or with manufacturers added "options".

Only option if you don't want to give information out is staying well clear of any variation of smartphone.

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You can get non-Google Android, but it seems to only ship on random phones from China etc.
    Otherwise you can find one that can be unlocked and install LineageOS (basically Android without needing a Google account).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Apple have released a $50,000 computer. The stand and display are $6,000 extra!!!

Baaaaaaaa

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...box=1575999484
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast