Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

how to see a list of recently deleted files

I've been sorting out media files, mainly photos, some videos, on my pc (windows 10) and a WD EX2 NAS device

after some duplicates were identified and not moved, I thought I was deleting about 4 or 5 files but it seems that a lot more were deleted - I wasn't quick enough to see what was being deleted, just that there were I think about 200 files, when I was expecting only a few

I am wondering now if I had a folder highlighted by mistake or something

I have no idea what went

I don't necessarily need to recover them, I had a lot of duplication, but I would like to know what was deleted

I can't find a way of just seeing a log of what I did, but it feels like there should be one

any ideas please ? I've googled without success ....

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Recycle bin?
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What operating system are you on? Assuming Windows but could be macOS or Linux
    How did you delete them, by manually selecting and hitting delete or did another program do it for you?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    cut and pasted a load of files from my Win 10 PC hard drive into a mapped drive (Z: ) which is just a share on the NAS EX2

then within that folder (Z: ) - working within file explorer on the win 10 pc - I started to move groups of files into subfolders

some were flagged as duplicates and having compared them I clicked Skip - so they were left in the top level folder

they were mp4s I think

then I highlighted those few (4 or 5) using ctrl click and then I think I right clicked to get the menu up and clicked Delete

then the windows progress box popped up showing me progress deleting files and it appeared to be deleting lots more - maybe 200 - but it was very quick a few seconds, so I think can only have been small files, photos maybe

it seemed as if I tried to deliberately delete a few and somehow deleted a load

I was working from a win 10 pc but within a folder on the NAS EX2

I don't at this stage need to restore - just want to see what I deleted, they may well have been duplicated in the cloud anyway

Recuva and Disk Drill cant see into the NAS drives

It feels as if somewhere there must be a log of what I did in File Explorer

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    It feels as if somewhere there must be a log of what I did in File Explorer
    You probably don't really want that

You just don't get a log as such of file creation & deletion operations on most filesystems. The NAS may be able to give you this - especially if it snapshots its shares, but you would probably have had to turn this on explicitly.

In my experience the people and organisations with decent backup strategies have had a really bad experience of losing their stuff. I always try to ensure that I have a safety net of some sort before deleting anything.... perhaps this is your wakeup call!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHead View Post
    You probably don't really want that

You just don't get a log as such of file creation & deletion operations on most filesystems. The NAS may be able to give you this - especially if it snapshots its shares, but you would probably have had to turn this on explicitly.

In my experience the people and organisations with decent backup strategies have had a really bad experience of losing their stuff. I always try to ensure that I have a safety net of some sort before deleting anything.... perhaps this is your wakeup call!
    My problem is too much back up and duplication - I have raid 1 in both pc and NAS and also cloud so am backed up .... but disorganised - I'm trying to rationalise multiple copies etc into a single set with a local and a cloud back up

I'm mainly just puzzled about what happened and would like to understand .... and be sure

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    My problem is too much back up and duplication - I have raid 1 in both pc and NAS and also cloud so am backed up .... but disorganised - I'm trying to rationalise multiple copies etc into a single set with a local and a cloud back up

I'm mainly just puzzled about what happened and would like to understand .... and be sure
    I was struggling with this a few years ago.

I bought some software - Duplicate Cleaner Pro. (24) You need to be slightly careful with it, but it is very powerful for identifying duplicate copies of stuff in multiple (inc mapped) locations. It will find duplicates of data, even if they have different filenames, dates etc. The photo mode will also find duplicates that have different rotations or resolutions etc. If you play with the filters, it is very easy to choose what version you want to keep. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can use it to find 'missing' files if you compare 2 directories too.

There is also a great freeware tool called : WinDirStat. This allows you to see large directories and files using up lots of space very easily. I wouldn't use it for deleting anything, but it gives you a quick overview in a few minutes (or seconds for SSD). You can just click on files in the graphical display to see what they are.
    Last edited by Steve Clark; 19-12-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    RAID isn't backup, if you delete a file from a RAID then it's gone, same for your NAS, if your data only exists in one location then it's not a backup.

My strategy is that my primary source of all my data is the disks inside my PC, I then do occasional syncs (once a month or every 6 weeks or so) over the network to another hard drive. Both of these are just single hard drives but importantly a delete operation from one drive gives me a window of opportunity (till my next sync) to undo what I did.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    FWIW if you're lucky maybe your NAS has a 'network recycle bin' (mine, a QNAP, does) which works more or less like the recycle bin on your desk/laptop.
    Bolting stable doors and all that: I've found backblaze a reliable and affordable 'always on' cloud-based backup for my main computer and there are many alternatives if you're happy to backup to the cloud.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would log into the admin console of the nas drive (usually through a Web browser), see what's available there. Most will have the option of deleted items area switched on by default.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast