Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Shirley it's the point of buying a "bespoke" suit: hall your carcass into the 'tailors' and get them to measure you. Then it's their problem if it doesn't fit.

Personally struggle with the concept of an off-the-shelf suit costing circa 2000 when bespoke suits are the same money. Having a supplier with the attitude of "it's your problem if it doesn't fit" is bang out of order.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don’t understand the draw to bare considering these sort of issues. We’ve got fantastic drysuit manufacturers in the uk that’ll do something that fits.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I dived in 7 degree water on the weekend;

Mountain Warehouse thermals
    PBX - Othree
    Otter trilam suit

Bit chilly on entry, was fine once got moving

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    hmm. I had a similar conversation with Bare a few years ago. They didn't have a suit I could actually try on with my usual undersuit in the 'right size' in the UK and when I asked if they would take it back and swap it for a different size if it didn't fit properly they said no. So I walked away and bought an Othree suit.

life is too short and drysuits are too expensive to risk ending up with an ill fitting suit. I wouldn't buy one without either trying it on or a promise to change it if it doesn't fit properly when it arrives.
    I agree with your viewpoint. There are enough quality manufacturers out there who will either fit you with your proposed undersuit (or swap it if it doesn't work) or do a full made to measure that buying a potentially ill fitting off the peg shouldn't even be a consideration.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    what is the difference between trilaminate and membrane suit?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    what is the difference between trilaminate and membrane suit?
    same suit different words for a posh plastic bag.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Sorry to disagree but I would recommend exact opposite - get a proper undersuit to keep you warm don't keep layering up - 6 layers will be bulky and expensive. I used a heated vest if its really cold but normally 2 layers only - simple base layer (don't waste money on diving branded stuff). I have never found anything warmer than thinsulate ... 3 degree is 400g territory.

I have never dived with someone who warmer than me wearing FE.
    You wear abase layer under your 400g? I remember once when buying the weezle extreme undercut and the guy saying wear nothing under the suit bar a pair of swimming trunks. Which 400g undersuit do you wear please? I can't imagine going in water any colder than 3 degrees myself.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    You wear abase layer under your 400g? I remember once when buying the weezle extreme undercut and the guy saying wear nothing under the suit bar a pair of swimming trunks. Which 400g undersuit do you wear please? I can't imagine going in water any colder than 3 degrees myself.
    I wear base layers to stop the suit smelling rather than give warmth. I have several different brand undersuits - DUI have been very good and very durable. I have a santi - its not as well cut (despite being custom) and the durability remains untested. I also have a NF (Chinese brand) that is very cheap and appears good (in the short term, i.e., so far)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Santi BZ400.

You can always wear something lighter when it's warm. If you don't really want to dive in cold water the 200 is enough.

Personally I like the 400 and only wear a lighter suit in the nice warm weather. The cut and flexibility of this suit is as good as it gets IMHO. The DUI runs a close second. After that you are going to lose flexibility as you get cheaper. Probably doesn't matter if you don't do valve shutdowns, but if you move on to that you will need to upgrade the undersuit. In my honest opinion this is the more important choice than the actual drysuit by several orders of magnitude. Therefore if I were shopping (and running two threads, one for each item) I would start with this item then move on to the outer layer.
    Thanks I looked at one site online and the DUI undersuits seem more expensive than Anti undersuits.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    Sorry to disagree but I would recommend exact opposite - get a proper undersuit to keep you warm don't keep layering up - 6 layers will be bulky and expensive. I used a heated vest if its really cold but normally 2 layers only - simple base layer (don't waste money on diving branded stuff). I have never found anything warmer than thinsulate ... 3 degree is 400g territory.

I have never dived with someone who warmer than me wearing FE.
    Graham which undersuit do you wear please?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast