Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    cheltenham
    Posts
    1,910
    Likes (Given)
    202
    Likes (Received)
    184
    The bare drysuit suit, I am after says it is a close fit and that they are made to hold a 200 g undersuit.

    Just a quick undersuit search and this is what Santi say -

    The Santi Flex190 Mens Undersuit is a thinner and more flexible undersuit for your drysuit but it will still keep you warm in temperatures down to about 7°C. AquaBan™ technology wicks moisture away from your skin which immediately warms you and keeps you dry. 180g/m2 material traps an insulating layer of air around you and has a 0.96clo warmth rating.

    If what Santi says is true, may be something like this suit would be fine for me, as I am not sure I would be diving in water much colder and if I do, I could always wear my lava core top/bottoms underneath, which are pretty thin.

  2. #12
    Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dacorum
    Posts
    3,727
    Likes (Given)
    2791
    Likes (Received)
    1956
    How cold are you thinking of diving? Coldest I've ever seen was 5 degrees in a lake.

    I dive a membrane drysuit with a Weezle Extreme underneath it. I find that fine for an hour long dive. If I felt that it wasn't enough, I could add a baselayer underneath it.

    One of my buddies uses a fourth element arctic undersuit all year round, and adds upto 3 baselayers depending on the temperature. I'd have thought that many layers might cause mobility problems, but he seems to manage just fine.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

  3. #13
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    cheltenham
    Posts
    1,910
    Likes (Given)
    202
    Likes (Received)
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    How cold are you thinking of diving? Coldest I've ever seen was 5 degrees in a lake.

    I dive a membrane drysuit with a Weezle Extreme underneath it. I find that fine for an hour long dive. If I felt that it wasn't enough, I could add a baselayer underneath it.

    One of my buddies uses a fourth element arctic undersuit all year round, and adds upto 3 baselayers depending on the temperature. I'd have thought that many layers might cause mobility problems, but he seems to manage just fine.
    Hi,

    Just as cold as what this country throws at us really and some quarry diving. May be I am over thinking things because I plan to do a few different course which may involve going deeper for longer periods of time.

  4. #14
    GUE Tech and Cave Instructor johnkendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    684
    Likes (Given)
    79
    Likes (Received)
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    The bare drysuit suit, I am after says it is a close fit and that they are made to hold a 200 g undersuit.

    Just a quick undersuit search and this is what Santi say -

    The Santi Flex190 Mens Undersuit is a thinner and more flexible undersuit for your drysuit but it will still keep you warm in temperatures down to about 7°C. AquaBan™ technology wicks moisture away from your skin which immediately warms you and keeps you dry. 180g/m2 material traps an insulating layer of air around you and has a 0.96clo warmth rating.

    If what Santi says is true, may be something like this suit would be fine for me, as I am not sure I would be diving in water much colder and if I do, I could always wear my lava core top/bottoms underneath, which are pretty thin.
    They all lie I use a flex190 for 20 to 25deg C water. Add a vest for 15 to 20 Deg, and am in 400gr for less than 15. Sub 8 and I have electric heating.
    Any fool can be cold

    HTH
    John

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    John Kendall
    GUE Instructor Trainer, Tech and Cave Instructor www.johnkendall.com
    www.divinganalysers.com - Nitrox, Trimix and Single Gas Analysers
    www.santi-store.co.uk - Santi Drysuits, Undersuits and Accessories

  5. #15
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    3,118
    Likes (Given)
    950
    Likes (Received)
    1276
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    If what Santi says is true, may be something like this suit would be fine for me, as I am not sure I would be diving in water much colder and if I do, I could always wear my lava core top/bottoms underneath, which are pretty thin.
    That's what I'm wearing for the very cold water, more or less (sort of!). I use a BZ400 undersuit and a FE Thermocline T-shirt underneath it (with socks and a pair of pants obviously!). I found that even with the BZ400 I could feel the cold material of the undersuit but with the TC top, I couldn't. Finger tips and toes still take a bit of a beating though but that's going to need electrickery to solve.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

  6. #16
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    3rd rock from the sun
    Posts
    2,010
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    465
    Have tried a BZ400 which was allegedly in my size. Looks amazing and looks really warm. Alas the knee joints were in the wrong place and I ended up feeling extremely "wrapped". I'll conceed that it probably wasn't my size.

    One day I might try to get measured and get a made-to-measure / adjusted to measure one.

    I find the layers, which I've bought over several years, seems to give the flexibility to do valve shutdowns and finely adjust for temperature differences or "the mission".

  7. #17
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    8,497
    Likes (Given)
    823
    Likes (Received)
    3738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Have tried a BZ400 which was allegedly in my size. Looks amazing and looks really warm. Alas the knee joints were in the wrong place and I ended up feeling extremely "wrapped". I'll conceed that it probably wasn't my size.

    One day I might try to get measured and get a made-to-measure / adjusted to measure one.

    I find the layers, which I've bought over several years, seems to give the flexibility to do valve shutdowns and finely adjust for temperature differences or "the mission".
    It is important to get a good fit (both items). Santi have a small "adjustment" factor option when ordering to make it a better fit. I too have acquired a lot of odds and ends over the years. Reaching back for valves tends to pull stuff out the small of your back. I managed to score some O Three PPB salopettes off their sale rail some years back for 25 quid and this sorts out that problem.

    My other cheapo undersuits don't have knees or any other joints and don't have that problem. But I agree it is an important factor and one no one else mentioned - perhaps we should have.

  8. #18
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    cheltenham
    Posts
    1,910
    Likes (Given)
    202
    Likes (Received)
    184
    Bare say they account for a 200g undersuit to be worn under the drysuit when taking into account body measurements. Does this mean if I want to wear say 300 or 400g I should've up a size in suit?
    Last edited by greatwhite; 04-12-2019 at 05:11 PM.

  9. #19
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    3,118
    Likes (Given)
    950
    Likes (Received)
    1276
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Bare say they account for a 200g undersuit to be worn under the drysuit when taking into account body measurements. Does this mean if I want to wear say 300 or 400g I should've up a size in suit?
    Probably. You have to wonder why they wouldn't have asked what you actually proposed to wear underneath the suit, rather than said "it's going to be a 200g". How can you ever get sized up for a suit properly unless you only plan on ever wearing what they have decided you should wear?! Very odd. Not come across that kind of thing before outside of a stock chart that you read yourself and then choose from without speaking to anyone about it....?!
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

  10. #20
    Established TDF Member MikeF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Darkest Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    3,908
    Likes (Given)
    208
    Likes (Received)
    2830
    hmm. I had a similar conversation with Bare a few years ago. They didn't have a suit I could actually try on with my usual undersuit in the 'right size' in the UK and when I asked if they would take it back and swap it for a different size if it didn't fit properly they said no. So I walked away and bought an Othree suit.

    life is too short and drysuits are too expensive to risk ending up with an ill fitting suit. I wouldn't buy one without either trying it on or a promise to change it if it doesn't fit properly when it arrives.


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •