Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recomendation please

My wife has been diving for about a year. She has completed her basic PADI and has logged about 10 hours of dives. She turns 40 next February and I would like to take her away for a weekend somewhere for a couple of 'wow' dives. We are based in the UAE and I would want to fly no more than 2 or 3 hours on a Thursday night. She would have a couple of dives on the Friday and maybe another on the Saturday.
    Any suggestions? The more pretty fish, etc. the better. As my username suggests, I have no experience and will not be joining her on the dives but will sit on the beach and wait for her to come back with lots of great memories.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think Egypt is not too long a flight for you? There are plenty of options there for divers of all levels and lots of pretty reefs and fish. For example Camel Dive Club in Sharm el Sheikh, Marsa Shagra (Red Sea Diving Safari) near Marsa Alam. In February the air temp is likely to be mid 20s and water temp about 22/23 degrees.

When you have a bit more time, the Maldives are also an excellent option and offer great diving. You can stay on an island rather than a boat and still have some great dives! Water temp and air temp much higher there - around 27-29 degrees typically for water temp.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not sure about flying Thursday night and diving Friday.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Not sure about flying Thursday night and diving Friday.
    Why not ? Isn't this de rigeur for all package red sea trips ? Think I've always arrived evening, dived next day

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by standsandwatches View Post
    My wife has been diving for about a year. She has completed her basic PADI and has logged about 10 hours of dives. She turns 40 next February and I would like to take her away for a weekend somewhere for a couple of 'wow' dives. We are based in the UAE and I would want to fly no more than 2 or 3 hours on a Thursday night. She would have a couple of dives on the Friday and maybe another on the Saturday.
    Any suggestions? The more pretty fish, etc. the better. As my username suggests, I have no experience and will not be joining her on the dives but will sit on the beach and wait for her to come back with lots of great memories.
    I'd maybe aim for somewhere she can have a private guide - it could fall flat for an inexperienced diver assigned a boat buddy

When did she last dive ?

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    I'd maybe aim for somewhere she can have a private guide - it could fall flat for an inexperienced diver assigned a boat buddy

When did she last dive ?
    She's been diving about once every 2 months, last one about a month ago. She would hopefully get another one in before this February trip.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    She's been diving about once every 2 months, last one about a month ago. She would hopefully get another one in before this February trip.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
    The reason I asked was to see if the resort would be likely to insist on a 'scuba review' or similar, which I think are often asked for where there has been a 6 month gap

I'm not sure how realistic the plan is. Using Sharm as an example, I'd guess that day 1 for someone so inexperienced would be in the Gardens - not too much coral to damage, no currents to speak of, a bit to see - can be lucky - but not teeming with brightly coloured fish etc. You 'need' a 24 hour break between last dive and flight home, so might get a full second day in - depending on what she has done before she might or might not be wowed by the shallower than 18m sites available in Ras Mohammed for example.

February is also going to be a bit windy and maybe cold in the Red Sea

It is also a longer flight than you want - 2 hours doesn't get you all that far, Salalah for example, 3 hours maybe to north India ?

Oman is your best bet I guess - I've only snorkelled there, and from my very brief research I thought the better sites are a little deeper and possibly more at risk from weather and currents - your are looking for a sure bet wow factor within 2-3 hours. I'm not sure it exists

Take her to see the turtles at Ras Al Jinz instead ?

Or really treat her, and learn yourself and go for your first dive together for her birthday

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    You may find something here: https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...ty-Middle-East

Have a great weekend wherever you go! :-)

Back in the UK, Ah Now..... NeilB's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have you tried the Musandam? Just a 3 hour drive for you and you can hop on a dhow out of Dibba or a fast boat out of Khasab. The viz won't be as good as Egypt but there are large fish and you can dive until just before you come home as you follow the coast and don't go over any mountains.
    Know many, trust few, hurt none.