• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wardy_uk
    Established TDF Member
    • Jan 2016

CO2 dsmb

Hi all

Having had quite a lot of people recommend one to me, I’ve decided to give a CO2 DSMB a go... but there doesn’t seem much choice

After a quick google - the only one I’ve found is this https://www.divingproducts.co.uk/sho...product_id=376

Is that it, or are there other brands to look out for?

Tia

Nick
  • OrangeHead
    TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

There are other options but I would recommend the KT one you linked to. They also supply a replacement inflation mechanism which is handy as it is likely to fail from corrosion long before you wear out the bag

Comment

• Paulo
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by OrangeHead
      There are other options but I would recommend the KT one you linked to. They also supply a replacement inflation mechanism which is handy as it is likely to fail from corrosion long before you wear out the bag
      Dunno about that. One of my KT bags is about 20% aquasure at the moment.

They are a good product, just dont hang them sovewhere they snag when you are dragging yourself through wreck penetrations
      If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• OrangeHead
        TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Paulo
        dont hang them sovewhere they snag when you are dragging yourself through wreck penetrations
        Haha fair enough, mine lives in a pocket so the salt is the main problem

Comment

• NWdiver
          TDF Member
          • Oct 2015

Yeah the Kent Tooling bag seems to be the only one on the market at the moment. There used to be another company making them (Aquatec??).

I'm surprised none of the bigger companies have had a go at it. Would just be a case of sticking an off the shelf inflator mechanism onto a bag and selling it for £100+

The KT version has been fine for me for a good few years. It's now pretty faded and pink and I replace the mechanism every now and again for a couple of quid. Preferable to a crack bottle for me.

Comment

• longbow
            TDF Member
            • Jan 2013

Had a look for a replacement one recently - as the others have said KT seem to be the only people so bought mine from them. (My local dive shop said at the time there's no demand for them any more.) If I remember correctly it wasn't obvious when I ordered online if you got any cylinders with it - but mine did actually come with a couple, so if you're using a a backup (like me) you shouldn't have to buy extras with it.

Comment

• Wardy_uk
              Established TDF Member
              • Jan 2016

You have to wonder why there’s only one company making them...

I thought they were more popular <shrugs>

Comment

• Nickpicks
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Aquatec went out of business after a fire in the factory. as far as I know, KT are the only ones available nowadays.

KT ones are very nice, but I would question whether the finishing touches like the black hemming around the seams is really necessary - the Aquatec ones were just seam welded and cut, and seemed to work just fine for about half the price.

It's almost like there's a market opportunity for someone with an ultrasonic seam welder, some waterproof fabric and a supply of UML Mini CO2 cartridge holders.
                Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

• Wardy_uk
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Jan 2016

Shame you can’t get the CO2 mechanism separately anywhere...

Comment

• Paulo
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Wardy_uk
                    They are £4 from KT iirc
                    If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• jturner
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Jan 2013

Like these?

The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• NWdiver
                        TDF Member
                        • Oct 2015

No, most of them are automatic so will fire when submerged in water. Great for a lifejacket... not so good for your dsmb.

As mentioned, Kent Tooling sell the appropriate mechanism for a few quid.

Comment

• jturner
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by NWdiver
                          No, most of them are automatic so will fire when submerged in water. Great for a lifejacket... not so good for your dsmb.

As mentioned, Kent Tooling sell the appropriate mechanism for a few quid.
                          Sorry, I wasn't clear. The people who's products are on that page make them, not that site itself, such as http://www.halkeyroberts.com/product...-inflator.aspx, which looks exactly like the one on my Aquatec dsmb.
                          The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• Wardy_uk
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Jan 2016

Really? Will take a look... wondering if I can retrofit an old one of mine

Comment

• Nickpicks
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

Really? Will take a look... wondering if I can retrofit an old one of mine
                              You should be able to - if you can cut a hole in one side without going right through, and make sure you can get the banjo bolt too (the ones KT sell don't have the bolt becasue it's already fitted to the dsmb).

The ones fitted to KT are similar to https://www.uml.co.uk/Micro_Manual.html
                              (don't get an auto activating one)
                              Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

Working...