Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Manta diving, Labuan Bajo (Komodo) Indonesia.

Anyone been Manta diving in this area?? OH wants to do it but I understand the whole area is prone to some ripping currents. I have zero experience of strong current diving so would be grateful if anyone could tell me what it is like. Have tried searching trip reports but most seem to be Lembah, Raja Ampat. Any help would be very gratefully received!! I am a bit anxious about the idea if I am honest as the last dive trip I was persuaded to do against my better judgement (Antartica) did not end well and severely dented my diving confidence.

Thanks All
    Caz
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Not the news you would wish and you may have seen this already: https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...ntas-in-Komodo

https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...nd-the-Pacific

Good luck and take care of yourself!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hello Caz!

We never dived Labuan Bajo but we did dive in Komodo National Park where the currents can be mental. The currents in Alor where actually the most crazy we have dived in but there's no mantas there.

First of all I would say, if you find a good dive operator currents wont be a problem. The only time we came a cropper was when we had to change dive sites and the current changed half way through the dive. I've always found that the good guides in Indonesia check out the current first before even thinking about dropping in. They will change the plan if it's too strong and take you to another site. There's a saying over there "no current - no fish" and I can certainly agree with that. The fish all move to the active side of the reef then move back again when the tide changes.

Local knowledge and experience is everything, diving Cape Kri on an out going tide is just dangerous. The current is so strong you can't even hold on, pulling you off the reef and down into the water column if you are unlucky! On the incoming tide it is a spectacle to behold. Still mental, but safe and with a reef hook a truly amazing sight.

Lots of the current dives are initially hard work getting into the split point but once you are there and hooked in you just sit back and watch the show. After that it's a fun drift dive

Best Manta experience we have had was at Kri Eco Resort (2011) & Papua Explorers (2013). Both Reef mantas and oceanic mantas with no real current.

I'm not fond of currents, especially if you are trying to take pictures but I'd honestly say having good guides who know the area and you trust is the most important thing. They wont take you anywhere that you are not comfortable and wont dive a site if it's not safe. Most problems come from inexperienced guides and inexperienced guests I would imagine.

Sharon

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Fast current dives and can be very exciting and worthwhile even for an older fella like me . Dive guide told me - lock on the reef or lose the dive. So being ex RN I did what I was told :-)

One of my best was in the Maldives here :

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've dived with Scuba Junkie in Komodo twice and would highly recommend them. I'm not a massive fan of currents but the dive guides understood the currents, changed their plans if the currents were too strong and gave very detailed dive briefings. I'd advise dropping them an email explaining your concerns and I'm sure they'd put your mind at rest.
    I loved the diving in Komodo, it's a good combination of both big and small stuff and lots of manta rays on both my trips.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Komodo has got some amazing diving and is very worthwhile heading to. Scuba Junkie, Blue Marlin and Wicked Diving are all great operators (I've been there 3 times). Although there can be very strong currents, there are also times where there are pretty much no currents. One trip the reef hook came out a lot, another trip I didn't need to use it at all, there was nothing too strong to swim against. I did a liveaboard with Wicked Diving, and there was a couple that had just finished their PADI Open Water the day before the trip, and they didn't have any issues at all. The best thing to do is email ahead of time and ask when the currents will be calmer, which should be about halfway between the new moon and full moon I think. The ocean can be unpredictable though! Regardless, make sure the dive operator is aware of any concerns and ask for tips from your guide. Any of the dive centres I mentioned would be great to dive with.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by henderkl View Post
    I've dived with Scuba Junkie in Komodo twice and would highly recommend them. I'm not a massive fan of currents but the dive guides understood the currents, changed their plans if the currents were too strong and gave very detailed dive briefings. I'd advise dropping them an email explaining your concerns and I'm sure they'd put your mind at rest.
    I loved the diving in Komodo, it's a good combination of both big and small stuff and lots of manta rays on both my trips.
    What time of the year, did you go please? I am looking at returning to Komodo again, but can't decide if I should do a joint venture of Tulamben, Amed and Lembongan, Tulamben and Komodo or Lembongan and Komodo. I don't think for 15 nights, we will have time to do them all.