Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Which backup computer? Thoughts please.

Hi All,

After 10 faithfull years, my now EOL Liquivision X1 backup computer has died. I treat computers like relationships - once you have one you love, you don't look elsewhere, so I'm out of touch with the latest (lesser known) computers on the market.

My requirements are simple :-) > a) no less than 5 switchable gases, b) OC Fixed Setpoint CCR mode, with auto setpoint switching at user defined depths, c) Buhlmann ZHL-16 'B' or 'C', with GF's d) OLED Display e) User replaceable battery, f) Friendly interface. Nice to have, Fischer connector for three cell monitoring (Inspiro Vision) - but I've never felt the need in the past.

Perdix would be the safe choice, but open to suggestions especially if there are cheaper credible options?

Kind regards, Andy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    SW Petrel will do all you need and the support is there if needed.

I had to have a new depth sensor fitted to my Petrel Ext this year. Cost me 180 and came with an upgrade to the features of the Petrel 2.
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's one of those times where you'll compare anything else to a Shearwater and make a decision on how close it came to the spec. of the Shearwater.

Never heard a bad word about Shearwater. Really like my Perdix: does everything that you list (except setpoint switching? - but I blow bubbles). Most importantly it's never let me down, it's very easy to read underwater, really simple interface.

My backup's a Suunto d9TX watch which I'd never recommend as I can't understand the thing, nor read it properly underwater, and struggle with the button-tastic interface. Of your requirements, it meets only one!

Established TDF Member Wardy_uk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Most people seem to fall into one of two main camps... OSTC is the other choice... simplest computer I’ve ever owned, but easily the best... different models available, but iirc they use a different connector than Fischer...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The only alternative would be ostc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I know nothing of either seller or computer but ....

http://www.divegear.ie/ads_item.php?...f0c50cc5f907b4
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    does everything that you list (except setpoint switching? - but I blow bubbles)!
    Shearwater computers do automatic setpoint switching - I have mine on manual low to high, automatic high to low.

As lots of others have said, go with Shearwater, best computer I've ever owned and I wouldn't use anything else. If you want a Fischer connector you'll need a Petrol2, but if you just want a CC backup, then a Perdix is perfect.

B

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think the default these days (for anything remotely tech) is Shearwater as I have heard virtually no negative feedback regarding them.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Iv got both a OSTC and a shearwarter predictor ext.

Personally I prefer the Shearwarter layout and menus, but that might just be the case that i got it before he OSTC.

The OSTC does everything i want as a backup, and I'm happy with it.

I know one person with the Ratio and they like it, but don't know how many there are out i the wild to gauge how well they get on in the long run. They use a 4pin fisher cable instaed of the 7pin other computers use.

The other option is a AV1, some people have had good experience using them for CCR controllers, and there is a stand alone version and a Ext monitor as well as a full controller.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd rather have an OSTC.

My previous OSTC sport was a beautiful thing. The OSTC currently plumbed into my Vision is also a joy to use. The only time I ever needed support (with the Sport), it was off to Germany and back within a week.

If you want to plug it into the unit, the OSTC S8 cable is infinitely better than a fischer connector.

People will recommend whichever expensive computer that theyve chosen to buy though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast