Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Small leak in zipper

Good morning all,
    I could use a little help please. I have purchased a used Whites commercial grade 01 dry suit. It belonged to a fire department and had very little use. The bottom of the boots and the knee pads have almost no ware. The seals were torn and the rubber coated neoprene boots had permanent creases from being folded.

I replaced the wrist and neck seals with the Si-tech system. The boots I replaced with 5mm neoprene socks. The sealant that covered the zipper stitching was pealing so I removed all of it. I cleaned everything with xylene. I used T-Rex tape, (basically flex seal tape) to seal it back up with. It comes in a 4 inch x 5 foot roll so I cut it into 1 inch strip. If you haven't tried, don't laugh. Just peel of the backing and press. It holds better than rubber and contact cement. Using on urethane once you press it down it doesn't come back up.

Anyway after everything was done I leaked checked it. There is a small leak where the zipper ends at. It leaks around the brass pull piece. I checked and made sure its clean and nothing was in it. I found on here where some have used silicone grease to fix this. I haven't tried it yet but I feel it may work.

My real question is can I coat the end with a small amount of aqua seal or something softer to get it to seal?

thanks for any help you can give me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have a look at the end of the zip where the outside teeth meet and the zip itself is stuck to the suit.

You've got an inverted V shape in the center that is part of the final seal at the zip end. This might be
    part hidden. It can come away from the backing pad, be gone alltogether or the pad itself might be
    tearing away.

If no obvious signs and as a quick fix only i'd pack this area with silcone grease soley to see if it seals
    and then for a better, but by no means permanent attempt use a part setting clear bulding silcone
    sealent, but sparingly. I'd not use anything that is an actual glue.

Before all that though i'd try a zip stick.
    This loads the zip all over and really gets in the teeth, can do it before it's done up and load the slider.
    Thicker than brush on zip slip and thinner than wax it works better with problem zips. It will need doing
    every dive, but should do that anyway.

First US site I could find, but i'm sure you can get similar at any local camping type store.
    http://www.flatironsscuba.com/shop/c...k-x7570486.htm
    Last edited by Tel; 24-11-2019 at 04:54 PM.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Tel,
    I ran over to an automotive parts store and pick up a tube of dielectric grease. I used a little dollop and no leak at all, at least not in that area. I did find one at the top of the zipper but its the seam that runs across the zipper at the end. I'm out of aqua seal so I'll need to order some more and that should be an easy fix.

When I aired up the suit, before the grease it would take about 2 1/2 minutes for one leg to drop and I had bubbles. After the grease it took about 15 minutes and no bubbles.

So unless it starts leaking on me I'll just use grease. I can get a hell of a lot of uses out of 6 dollar tube.