X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian@1904
    Team Starburst
    • Dec 2012

Broadband line speed test

I suspect that this is a first world problem but I am slightly puzzled.
    I have a replacement router on order from Virgin Media, and we are currently connecting to the router via SWMBO's Apple time machine which has an ethernet cable from time machine to router. When I do a line test using iPad, Mac, or a Samsung phone the speed comes up as 100 mb which is what I pay for. However connecting by notebook, a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series, only achieves a line speed of circa 35mb. All devices are connecting via wifi.

Is there some setting on my Dell that would affect line speed?
  • barnaby_s
    Established TDF Member
    • May 2017

It might be a wireless protocol issue, I had a memory of hearing something about them and not autonegotiating the correct speed and a quick search found:
    I got my Inspiron 7000 literally an hour ago (15 inch model, i7core, 1TB HD 8GB RAM). It's nice but the WiFi is sickening. It keeps dropping the internet connection and every time I run troubleshoo...

Comment

• Ian@1904
      Team Starburst
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by barnaby_s
      It might be a wireless protocol issue, I had a memory of hearing something about them and not autonegotiating the correct speed and a quick search found:
      https://www.dell.com/community/Netwo...s/td-p/4181199
      Thank you.
      I will look into that

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
        bottlefish
        • Dec 2012

Speed over WiFi will be limited by hardware of the device you're connecting with, so yes, sometimes that will mean the WiFi link is slower than the broadband connection.
        Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• Adrian
          Remember, remember
          • Dec 2012

I've used inSSIDer to identify band clashes from local wifi's and tweak both 2.4 and 5gHz ranges.
          Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

Comment

• wibble32
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

On my WiFi card I can select the speed.
            At 2.4Ghz I get less than 1/2 the download speed I get at 5Ghz.

Rgds

Comment

• barnaby_s
              Established TDF Member
              • May 2017

As Adrian said it is worth checking for other people using the same channels, there are apps for Android and iOS that will check for what channels are in use like WiFi Analyser for Android,

Comment

• dwhitlow
                Coastal Member
                • Dec 2012

why worry?

if your Dell says 35Mb then be happy and use 35Mb. Will you ever need more?

My current (cheap) ADSL service delivers 11Mb download (just tested it) and it does all we need.

Whilst there are technical reasons that might allow you to get more do you actually need it?

Comment

• AxeMan
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

There are different standards for wireless, the Dell probably supports only an older version.

Actiontec’s Gateways and Extenders incorporate the most advanced WiFi 7 technology, including tri-band 4x4x4 with 10Gbps WAN/LAN throughput on our flagship WiFi 7 gateway. We’ve optimized antenna placement on three dimensions to deliver a robust signal between floors and to the far corners of the home.

These speeds should be treated with a pinch of salt. They're absolute maximums.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
                  See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including Grand Cayman, Tulum and the Philippines

Comment

• steelemonkey
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by dwhitlow
                    why worry?

if your Dell says 35Mb then be happy and use 35Mb. Will you ever need more?

My current (cheap) ADSL service delivers 11Mb download (just tested it) and it does all we need.

Whilst there are technical reasons that might allow you to get more do you actually need it?
                    I don't even know how to check my speed. It is slower than my work PC but otherwise ????
                    Paul.
                    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
                    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

• John63
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by steelemonkey
                      I don't even know how to check my speed. It is slower than my work PC but otherwise ????
                      Lots of options like this

Comment

• Ian@1904
                        Team Starburst
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by wibble32
                        On my WiFi card I can select the speed.
                        At 2.4Ghz I get less than 1/2 the download speed I get at 5Ghz.

Rgds
                        I am on 5Ghz

Comment

• Moleshome
                          TDF Member
                          • Jun 2017

How are you checking the speed Ian? Is this just the link speed that the computer is reporting or your actual download speed?

Comment

• Ian@1904
                            Team Starburst
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Moleshome
                            How are you checking the speed Ian? Is this just the link speed that the computer is reporting or your actual download speed?
                            I used a couple of broadband test sites. I obtained similar results from between different devices. So my phone on two different tests measured 100 mbs and my notebook 35 mbs. All tests had only one machine running at a time

Comment

• Neilwood
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Oct 2015

More than likely the Wifi adaptor in the notebook is limited in capability - have a look at the Wifi drivers and think about reinstalling them. Either that or disable the internal adaptor and use a USB one

Comment

Working...