Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: compressor bits

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Oh and some **** had lost/nicked half of the (buggered) 4th stage so making it really awkward for me to re make any of the parts myself (I reverse engineer stuff for a day job)
    This must be a popular occupation. We had a Rix 2J** happy sitting outside in our car park awaiting service taking up a 20 foot length of the available car spaces its a 100 CFM 5000psi Navy dockside submarine ballest tank filler in for service. It's on a 20 foot long by 8 foot wide skid with 8 foot by 8 foot of it taken up with a 7 foot tall copper and bronze water cooled heat exchanger. All painted navy drab grey.

The only parts not painted was the 4th stage water cooled after cooler about 60 kilos of Phospher Bronze un painted all bright and shiny attached with a few bolts to an unpainted 4th stage bronze head. They were the only parts that as if by magic one day were attached then next day were gone. Heck I would have charged an hours labour for removing that and this got done for free during the night to boot.

Some folk think say this country is done for. But yet we still have good folk in the UK willing to work nights and for free.
    Maybe its a VW hub cap collection thing going on for the bedroom wall. Or am I showing my age

** A 100 cfm 5000 psi compressor is ideal for paint ball events.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It was all ferrous stuff, something the fitter had taken away went it went pop and since lost.
    Anyway all gone off to be coke cans or something now.

At least the motor went to a good home chopping cattle feed

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Only you can make that call if worth keeping, its an old steel shell, age i'm guessing 30 years old probably more at a time when BS4001 was the old breathing air standard.
    But for the sake of not sinking the boat ...:
    Speaking of sinking the boat the hydrostatic integrity of a lump that old was on my mind.

What is the craic with testing such an item? I'm guessing my local IDEST diving shop might not be too helpful...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Spoke to a friend who does some testing etc. reckons filter stack could be tested but you need the manufacturers original test parameters that set out min wall thickness, thread forms and required thread tolerances etc.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've managed to find UK based sources for most of the bits I am after but still considering options for the the filter stack. Anyone know of a source for repackable 12" filter stack? Would also consider slightly bigger. Otherwise I will probably go with the option of using a couple of Undersea filters.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well there's my backup compressor plan fooked...

"Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting RIX Industries with interest in our obsolete model the SA-6. Unfortunately RIX Industries no longer offer the SA-6 compressors. There is no replacement model at the moment.
    Thanks again.
    "

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Are there any compressors made that can be run at say 6cfm design speed but also derated to 3cfm so they can be run off a household supply if needed?

I thought the oil free SA6s could do this but since they're not made any more and don't seem to come up for sale seems to not be an option.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

compressor bits

Well there's my backup compressor plan fooked...

"Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting RIX Industries with interest in our obsolete model the SA-6. Unfortunately RIX Industries no longer offer the SA-6 compressors. There is no replacement model at the moment.
    Thanks again.
    "
    I had the same response around a year ago, which is a shame. The only used ones I seem to find coming up for sale are in the US and in somewhat varying states of repair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well there's my backup compressor plan xxxx...

"Dear Chris,

Thanks again.
    "
    Its a correct agreed and accurate statement from Eric at Rix

Bristol University had the same problem they wanted a high pressure 5000psi oil free oil-less SA-6 compressor for taking authentic atmospheric air samples of the atmosphere to measure particles in the air we breathe in the parts per billion range and had the same correct response. The SA-6 is no longer manufactured in the USA or available to the public (or its equivalent NATO NSN number).

They were advised by Rix of the only one other company based outside mainland USA authorized to build and assemble these US Government Department of Defense DoD Seal Team breathing air compressors based in UK England.

The answer I gave the University at the time before they placed an order is the same one I offer you now. Stop calling it the SA-6
    Last edited by iain/hsm; 21-01-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Are there any compressors made that can be run at say 6cfm design speed but also derated to 3cfm so they can be run off a household supply if needed?

I thought the oil free SA6s could do this but since they're not made any more and don't seem to come up for sale seems to not be an option.
    Yes but again only with an oil-free oil- less high pressure compressor.

But first you need to define "household supply" to me it's a confusing statement a bit like oxygen cleaned.
    As I see it you have two options:

1. A household 13 amp socket supply, connecting the compressor to any of the available household power sockets on the ring in the house.
    A 13 amp socket would limit the motor size to around 3 BHP maximum (and so the compressor flow and or pressure)
    Also consideration to any additional power draw from any other devices running at the same time and sharing the same domestic ring main.
    This limits you to around a 2.2Kw motor and in turn a flow of around 2.5 to 3 cfm but with the advantage of portability and ease of connection

2. Using a 240 volt supply but connected directly to the fuse box with a 16 amp or 32 amp Type c circuit breaker
    would allow you to drive a bigger single phase electrical motor and even get your required 6 cfm but you need to wire it up as a dedicated industrial socket
    and loose the portability. A 3.7 Kw motor would more than cover your 6 cfm requirement using an oil free design at 5000 psi with a 240volt single phase domestic supply.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast