Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GUE Tech and Cave Instructor johnkendall's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aquacorps Magazine - 30 Year Anniversary

For anyone who doesn't know, Aquacorps Magazine was the place where the term "Technical Diving" was coined, and 30 years ago was the only real source of any information about Tech diving. I've had the pleasure of spending the last couple of weeks chatting and hanging out with Michael Menduno (The Aquacorps Editor/Publisher), and heard him speak about the history of Tech Diving.
    Unfortunately Aquacorps vanished, but there is now a project to scan and digitise all the back-issues, and GUE is one of the sponsors for this.

You can find the currently released editions here: www.aquacorps.online

Michael is now the Editor of the GUE "In-Depth" digital magazine/blog, and if you're interested, you can sign up for that here: https://gue.com/blog/

Thanks
    John
    John Kendall
    GUE Instructor Trainer, Tech and Cave Instructor www.johnkendall.com
    www.divinganalysers.com - Nitrox, Trimix and Single Gas Analysers
    www.santi-store.co.uk - Santi Drysuits, Undersuits and Accessories

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Tks for that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Still got the original ones.
    Never had the heart to throw them out.
    Good read back in the day.
    And we'll worth a read even now.
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's a blast from the past. Diving in the late 80's / 90's diving was a hoot. It seemed like we were continuously trying or inventing new things all the time without all the courses and qualifications to wipe your nose. I look back from today and wonder when did we all become so scared of our own shadows?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post

”....and issue #14, scheduled to run in February 1996, featuring cover girl Erica Leigh Haley, Canadian tekkie and co-leader of the TransPac Expedition, wearing only a toga and dive computer, never saw the light of day..”

Established TDF Member Iain Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    That's a blast from the past. Diving in the late 80's / 90's diving was a hoot. It seemed like we were continuously trying or inventing new things all the time without all the courses and qualifications to wipe your nose. I look back from today and wonder when did we all become so scared of our own shadows?
    Because lawyers...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain Smith View Post
    Because lawyers...
    Are possibly bogeymen hiding under the bed?

I’d be interested to know how many recreational divers have been successfully sued in the UK for an accident occurring on a dive with their mates?

And how many have been able to fend them off because of a bit of paper with a made up qualification from some agency set up by Joe Blogs Inc?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain Smith View Post
    Because lawyers...
    Nah, it's just developed into more of an 'industry'. Which has it's advantages & disadvantages.

You can get some pretty exceptional training now. It may have been more 'fun' (i.e shit yourself, near-miss, adrenaline hit) in the past and probably cheaper, but I'm a wimp and there's no way I'd go cave diving without the confidence of a properly nailed-down system.

Flip side, I do think it's now pushing a lot of people away with the cost. A lot of us, particularly in the north, haven't seen much of a change in real-world salary over the last 10 years or so. Certainly not an significant increase in disposable income. In 2008, I paid Jarrod $1500 for Cave 1 (750 at the time). Do it now and it's $2500 (1900). Same with kit. My H Evolve wing cost 150 in 2008. It's 490 for the bag now.

I don't begrudge the quality instructors making a good living. You want 100% of their attention and they are world leaders at what they do. Or the kit, you want the backup of solid engineering. It's just changing the accessibility of technical diving. Before it was a similar cost to owning a motorbike to blast at the weekend. Now it's like top-end golf or regular skiing.
    Last edited by Steve Clark; 18-11-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    Or the kit, you want the backup of solid engineering.
    What's solidly engineered about them selling the same kit for 3/4x the price?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast