X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasminNeedsGills
    TDF Member
    • Feb 2019

Cost of lead

(and not just because I've watched Chernobyl, and don't feel in the slightest bit paranoid!)

Just wondering what the current price is for lead? I have got the chance to pick up 10kg of belt style weights (complete with belt) for £45. It feels like a lot for something some utterly simple as blocks of metal, but looking around it is surprising how much the metal itself costs, so have a feeling it might be worth it? Definitely easier than scrounging them as needed from the club!
    BSAC South-West Divers
  • jb2cool
    Sorry for being a dick
    • Dec 2012

£8 per kilo is fairly typical for retail price. £4 per kilo is about the going rate for second hand.

Your 10Kg for £45 is just about the going rate, not a particular bargain but not over the odds either.

Comment

• Energy58
      Established TDF Member
      • Jun 2014

Sounds about right for price - £7-8 a kg is the retail price - or you could just pick up "lost" weights from popular dive sites! I have never ever bought any lead - my record was finding 15kg on a single belt. I had to share it with my buddy as it was too heavy for one of us to swim with!

Comment

• Paulo
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Energy58
        Sounds about right for price - £7-8 a kg is the retail price - or you could just pick up "lost" weights from popular dive sites! I have never ever bought any lead - my record was finding 15kg on a single belt. I had to share it with my buddy as it was too heavy for one of us to swim with!
        Never bought a block of lead, have around 30kg of the stuff on different belts for different set ups. Never bought a belt either
        If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• N Bailey
          TDF Member
          • Jan 2013

Once found 13 kg weight belt whilst on a drift outside Portland wall.
          Sent weight belt to the surface using my DSMB carried on the dive then noted that the line was acting as a centre point for circular swim and the dsmb didn't have enough buoyancy to lift the belt.
          Skipper not amused when we got to the surface.

Comment

• witchieblackcat
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Energy58
            Originally posted by Paulo
            Never bought a block of lead, have around 30kg of the stuff on different belts for different set ups. Never bought a belt either
            No we know why "Outraged at Capernwray" keeps posting about divers stealing their misplaced lead.

Comment

• JasminNeedsGills
              TDF Member
              • Feb 2019

Thanks all. Will pass for now, stick with scrounging club lead and see what gifts Poseidon throws my way
              BSAC South-West Divers

Comment

• Nickpicks
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

£45 for a 10kg weight belt is not bad.

I've had cheaper by looking on ebay for weight belts - the postage costs on lead are prohibitive so "collection only" means there are fewer people wanting to bid - 10kg tends to sell for anything from £10 - £40.
                Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

• UnCheeky Monkey
                  I used to be Cheeky
                  • May 2018

£6 KG delivered to local asda from decathlon is cheapest I know of, £13 for 2 kg
                  Half the population of war-torn Yemen - 14 million people - are facing "pre-famine conditions", the UN has warned

Comment

• steelemonkey
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Are there no churches in Cornwall?
                    Paul.
                    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
                    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

Working...