Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    New TDF Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

    Lightbulb such a thing as adapter for video-to-spot?

    I've got a single 110deg wide 3500lum video light and would like to make it two soon. However there are numerous instances when being able to point to something with a high-power, narrow spot would be great, and I'd rather not have to manage more batteries, O-rings etc and then handle 3 lights in addition to camera.

    I haven't a whole lot of experience when it comes to lights, but was wondering why I can't find any sort of adapter to change a wide beam into a spot beam - something like a wet-lens for a camera, just for a light. As far as I can tell, it should be physically possible. I've played around with various magnifying glass elements in front of my video light, both on land and underwater - interestingly I saw absolutely NO difference in the beam when underwater. Seems to me some kind of convex lens should be able to considerably narrow a wide beam, but maybe the beam has to start off VERY narrow in order for it to work.

    My video light does have a spot function, but it is less powerful and hardly what I would call a true spot. I want something I can use to clearly "point" with, not just a dimmer, narrower flood.

    Tips, ideas, experience? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    North Yorkshire
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    would a snoot work ?

  3. #3
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The problem with using a magnifying lens underwater is the refractive index of water being quite close to that of glass or plastic. If you use a very strong plastic lens you should get some effect - I had a play with a cheap +10 dioptre 'close-up' lens for underwater macro photography and it certainly helped but was probably only +4 dioptre in water.

    Snoots are used on strobes for this purpose but it won't be a high-power narrow spot as all the snoot is doing is cutting out the wider parts of the beam. Retra sell a "Light Shaping Device", or LSD, for their strobe which includes some lenses to concentrate the beam and it's highly thought of on the Wetpixel forum but it's pricey.


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts