Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Zip repair on Apex WTX wing

Advice please.

The zip on my Apeks WTX-D wing gave way, couple of teeth at the top are broken hence the zip if knackered. The inside bladder is exposed and I am sure it is unsafe to use as it is. Contacted Apeks early this week. Response was: it is not a warranty issues, we don't repair them, can't do much about it.

Any ideas on how to fix it before I stump the cash for a new (non Apeks) wing.

Steve

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Got a sewing shop nearby ? They might do zip replacement.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Strip it down, remove the bladder so it's just the outer and nowt else then as Vanny says take it to a sewing shop.
    Zip can be got online and just make sure they don't use cotton thread, use man-made and get them to match as close as possible.

I do a lot of BC's and wings like this and ended up getting a heavy duty sewing machine

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Also a Saddler is another good person to know if you need sewing done.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My local cobbler does heavy duty stitching on things like webbing etc.

He fixes shoes too.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's what the Apeks guys said. Had a look at the busted zip, it is "welded" to the outer shell not stitched so will have to cut it out. There is a sewing / alterations shop in town I may try. Not sure they will have a zip long enough to go around.

Is it reasonable for Apeks to decline warranty and refuse to offer repair service?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveI View Post
    That's what the Apeks guys said. Had a look at the busted zip, it is "welded" to the outer shell not stitched so will have to cut it out. There is a sewing / alterations shop in town I may try. Not sure they will have a zip long enough to go around.

Is it reasonable for Apeks to decline warranty and refuse to offer repair service?
    Zips can be bought off the roll so any size.

I'd not cut anything yet until they've had a look as they might leave the old one in place and double stich upto it
    or they'd prefer to cut after it's been sewn, loads of options.

PS: I've done this with BC pockets, so may well be an option here.

Get 50mm light webbing, this is way thinner than the stuff used for harnesses etc and has a bit of give.
    The fabric 'tab' on some zips can vary so looking with the zip face down sew the webbing through onto the
    tab. When turned over the zip should now be covered with the webbing. Bend the webbbing along it's length
    and wrap arond the edge of pocket wing. You've now got 25mm of webbing either side of the edge with
    zip and pocket edge trapped between. Sew the lot and you've got a neat finish
    Last edited by Tel; 09-11-2019 at 08:28 AM.