Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    New TDF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Hurst, Berkshire
    Posts
    4
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Cool Best snorkel & mask

    Newbie alert!!!

    After a decent mask and snorkel

    Best place to look????

    After borrowing the boats one a few times, I realised I want to own my own bits of kit!

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    3rd rock from the sun
    Posts
    1,319
    Likes (Given)
    172
    Likes (Received)
    309
    Mask: one that fits. You must try one on. Everything else is personal preference.

    Snorkel. Cheap one. Unless you want to go snorkelling in which case the one you like.

  3. #3
    Established TDF Member Tel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,450
    Likes (Given)
    238
    Likes (Received)
    1118
    Way before we get to fit need to trim down the choice, so this is a newbie list

    1. First off I'd set a budget of no more than £40.
    2. Dismiss any larger masks such as Big Eyes or have windows, they are larger volume, harder to clear and chances are over-budget anyway.
    3. Pick a mask that has a standard strap and not those with a center adjuster.
    4. Avoid black skirts go for clear silicone.
    5. Pick a mask where the strap is attached to the skirt rather than the frame. This is less likely to get damaged.
    6. Check actual size, small face get a small mask

    So all the above will get you a easy to clear mask that's also easy to put on, you won't suffer from clastropobia
    and it won't get broken when it accientally gets something put on it.

    Then of course it's time for #7 = fit

    This is though not neccessarily your primary mask, it's the mask you buy now so that you get enough experince to
    be objective enough to have a personal preference. It may well be that you find one picked out from the above to
    be fine, but if later you eg: decide to get a silcome black skirted, frameless mask costing £70, your orginal becomes
    a backup that goes in a BC or drysut pocket. Luckily as the original you chose was a fold flat low-volume one with
    no adjuster on the back it's ideal as a backup

    Basic branded option that covers all the above and costs way under budget for mask and snorkel at just £27
    https://andark.co.uk/product/mares-m...el-set-411720/
    Last edited by Tel; 04-11-2019 at 09:12 AM.

  4. #4
    TDF Member DaveBarber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SS7 BENFLEET
    Posts
    362
    Likes (Given)
    48
    Likes (Received)
    157
    If you need prescription lens ( or think you may do at some future time) chose one that allows "off the peg" swap outs.

  5. #5
    Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gozo, Malta
    Posts
    2,190
    Likes (Given)
    1980
    Likes (Received)
    2086
    Whatever you do don't get one of those full face masks with incorporated snorkel. Not only will you look like a dick but they are dangerous too.
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

  6. #6
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    7,711
    Likes (Given)
    733
    Likes (Received)
    3330
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Mask: one that fits. You must try one on. Everything else is personal preference.

    Snorkel. Cheap one. Unless you want to go snorkelling in which case the one you like.
    This times 1,000.

    Mask can be cheapest and fit well or most expensive and leak. Personally I start at Decathlon then work upwards. The Decathlon Chinese tat mask fits me OK and have had one as a spare for a number of years with no issues whatsoever.

    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/scd-100-...d_8483961.html

    If it fits buy two and when one breaks you have a spare in your kit bag. If it nearly fits but not quite buy one then you have a spare in your kit bag.

  7. #7
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    2,962
    Likes (Given)
    863
    Likes (Received)
    1158
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rhardy22 View Post
    After a decent mask and snorkel

    Best place to look????
    Anywhere but online! Masks have to fit you - your face, not your mate's face, your instructor's face or anyone else's face. Find your local dive centre (I cannot help you there as I live far away and the nearest centre I know and could recommend is in Oxford) and call in and see how they help you out (if they're a bit "buys this and clear off" or "buy this because it's the best", maybe go elsewhere). I don't agree with most of Tel's extensive list of requirements but I do agree that fit is everything. A decent dive centre will talk through the options and explain the pros and cons of black v clear mask skirts etc. and let you make the call. Personally, I dislike transparent mask skirts in anything but dim light as I'm sick and tired of seeing the reflection of my own eyes looking back instead of the view. It's a personal choice thing though. Don't forget to give a Hollywood selfie pout when trying it on; I'm not taking the piss - you'll be wearing your mask with a snorkel or reg and that requires you to have your mouth open and many masks fit nicely when you have your mouth closed but leak when it's open as your face creases! Duck face is better than nothing but actually having a reg or snorkel in would be better still. As for as snorkel... well, that depends on if you're going to do a lot of snorkelling. Most divers do a bit but not much so a fancy-pants expensive snorkel isn't needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhardy22 View Post
    After borrowing the boats one a few times, I realised I want to own my own bits of kit!
    Makes sense for masks. If you used one on the boat and it was a great fit and worked well for you, that's a good starting point for finding your own. Assuming you noted what type it was of course!

  8. #8
    Established TDF Member Tel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,450
    Likes (Given)
    238
    Likes (Received)
    1118
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Anywhere but online! Masks have to fit you - your face, not your mate's face, your instructor's face or anyone else's face. Find your local dive centre (I cannot help you there as I live far away and the nearest centre I know and could recommend is in Oxford) and call in and see how they help you out (if they're a bit "buys this and clear off" or "buy this because it's the best", maybe go elsewhere). I don't agree with most of Tel's extensive list of requirements but I do agree that fit is everything. A decent dive centre will talk through the options and explain the pros and cons of black v clear mask skirts etc. and let you make the call. Personally, I dislike transparent mask skirts in anything but dim light as I'm sick and tired of seeing the reflection of my own eyes looking back instead of the view. It's a personal choice thing though. Don't forget to give a Hollywood selfie pout when trying it on; I'm not taking the piss - you'll be wearing your mask with a snorkel or reg and that requires you to have your mouth open and many masks fit nicely when you have your mouth closed but leak when it's open as your face creases! Duck face is better than nothing but actually having a reg or snorkel in would be better still. As for as snorkel... well, that depends on if you're going to do a lot of snorkelling. Most divers do a bit but not much so a fancy-pants expensive snorkel isn't needed.

    The average newbie will be faced with wall of masks and a shop walla that is trying to sell whatever he has
    the most out in the storeroom or makes the highest ££. Even if the staff are saints chances are he'll push a
    personal fave and that's usually at the higher end. He won't care though cause he paid trade for his, while
    the newbie punter is paying full retail.

    Then after all that it's still not a personal preference, how can it be when 15 minutes earlier this newbie had
    no clue and alll he's got now is a 50/50 chance of it being good or bad with all that advice ringing in his ears.
    If a newbie buys high and it's not A1 they'll live with it even though it never should have been bought
    purely because of the high investment cost.

    The list is not about my choice of mask and if buying for myself i'd go against some of those points sure, but that's
    not the point of the list. It's a damage limitation exercise to cut the bewildering choice and trim it down to a not
    neccesarily right mask for now, but a mask that is ok enough so that the option of a swap or change might even
    be considered once objective enough to make a real personal choice.

  9. #9
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    7,711
    Likes (Given)
    733
    Likes (Received)
    3330
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    The average newbie will be faced with wall of masks and a shop walla that is trying to sell whatever he has
    the most out in the storeroom or makes the highest ££. Even if the staff are saints chances are he'll push a
    personal fave and that's usually at the higher end. He won't care though cause he paid trade for his, while
    the newbie punter is paying full retail. ...
    Yes, that is often true. (But not in Decathlon)

  10. #10
    Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Guernsey
    Posts
    6,863
    Likes (Given)
    4350
    Likes (Received)
    5322
    If you must buy a snorkel, get a foldable silicone one so that you can put it in your pocket when your training is completed.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine Ė French critic and historian (1828-93)


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •