Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where to dive after the Maldives?

My wife and I have just returned from a most excellent trip to the Maldives with, as always, great diving.

We wish to plan a trip elsewhere for next year with a view to spending less money but are struggling having been utterly spoiled by the Maldives!

We are looking for, great diving, accommodation with character, and not too expensive or too busy. Somewhere that is a bit of a holiday as well.

The obvious choice would be the Red Sea but the only accommodation I have seen is faceless purpose-built hotels and most of the diving is fairly industrial with many dive boats on the same site...... but I may be misinformed?

We have tried liveaboards but my wife finds them a bit too intense.

We are fair weather divers [PADI Advanced with Nitrox].

We are probably asking for the moon .... but if anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdom it would be most appreciated.

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    You may find something here to float your boat

https://www.thediveforum.com/forumdi...4-Trip-Reports

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Few suggestions. For Egypt try Red Sea Diving Safari which has tents and chalets on the beach and two of the villages (Marsa Shagra and Marsa Nakari) have unlimited shore diving.

Further afield Mozambique is a great choice. Both Ponta D'Ouro and Tofo offer nice lodges, gorgeous beaches and amazing diving (big currents but I am guessing you experienced those in the Maldives!).

Thailand and Bali land based may also float your boat, plenty of places you can escape the crowds. Finally, the Philippines. Off to Malapascua myself next year and will be staying and diving with Evolution diving. Again, quite remote and thresher sharks are the main attraction there!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Philippines popped into my mind. Pretty reasonable prices once you start pricing it up. The resort depends on what you want yo see: Philippines has it all. What do you want out of your diving? Not been to Malapascua but they have the threshers. Dumaguete has Apo Island (loads of HUGE turtles). Various accommodation options, all on the beach, some with house reefs. PM me if you want further info.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidge View Post
    Philippines popped into my mind. Pretty reasonable prices once you start pricing it up. The resort depends on what you want yo see: Philippines has it all. What do you want out of your diving? Not been to Malapascua but they have the threshers. Dumaguete has Apo Island (loads of HUGE turtles). Various accommodation options, all on the beach, some with house reefs. PM me if you want further info.
    The Philippines is not bad, I would not say I am blown away though. I had better sightings of the Threshers at the Brothers, Egypt. Tubbataha is pretty good, but it is a live aboard trip and seasonal.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by smileydiver View Post
    Few suggestions. For Egypt try Red Sea Diving Safari which has tents and chalets on the beach and two of the villages (Marsa Shagra and Marsa Nakari) have unlimited shore diving.

Further afield Mozambique is a great choice. Both Ponta D'Ouro and Tofo offer nice lodges, gorgeous beaches and amazing diving (big currents but I am guessing you experienced those in the Maldives!).

Thailand and Bali land based may also float your boat, plenty of places you can escape the crowds. Finally, the Philippines. Off to Malapascua myself next year and will be staying and diving with Evolution diving. Again, quite remote and thresher sharks are the main attraction there!
    Ponta Do Ouro I think is very nice. Good diving with sharks at the right time of yr, nice sandy beach and sea, nice restaurants, nice vibe to the town which is not to big and we felt safe walking around there at night 2 yrs ago.

Thailand can be very very busy with divers. I'm actually seriously considering returning to Bali early next year to dive Tulamben and Lembongan again and Amed for the 1st time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Gozo - diving with Atlantis Diving Centre in Marsalforn - one of the most professionally run diving centres I have ever used. Going there for the third time next September. After 9 x Maldives trips I too was looking for somewhere different (and cheaper!) to dive, away from the maddening crowds. I found it in Gozo.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd second Gozo.

Last year I dived with Moby Divers in Xlendi (which has since been sold to a different outfit) and Scuba Kings in Marsalforn. This year I used Calypso Diving Centre in Marsalforn.

Calypso seems to have an almost entirely German clientele and is run like clockwork meeting up for the first dive at 8:15 prompt.
    Scuba Kings are a bit more laid back with the morning dive having a leisurely start at 9ish which means by the time you start the dive all the other dive centres are getting out of the water rather than the diver soup I had on a couple of the Calypso dives.

I'd be happy to dive with either outfit again.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezzo View Post
    My wife and I have just returned from a most excellent trip to the Maldives with, as always, great diving.

We wish to plan a trip elsewhere for next year with a view to spending less money but are struggling having been utterly spoiled by the Maldives!

We are looking for, great diving, accommodation with character, and not too expensive or too busy. Somewhere that is a bit of a holiday as well.

The obvious choice would be the Red Sea but the only accommodation I have seen is faceless purpose-built hotels and most of the diving is fairly industrial with many dive boats on the same site...... but I may be misinformed?

We have tried liveaboards but my wife finds them a bit too intense.

We are fair weather divers [PADI Advanced with Nitrox].

We are probably asking for the moon .... but if anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdom it would be most appreciated.
    It's a tough gig to follow! The Maldives are disgracefully expensive, especially from a resort, but the diving is pretty excellent. Lots of good tips above already, so I'd just like to echo them - Thailand (Andaman Sea), Indonesia/Malaysia are probably cheaper from a diving point of view but the flights are expensive. Mexico has some nice locations to dive. IMHO, it comes down to what kind of trip do you want to do - 100% hardcore diving, or mostly diving with some shore stuff or 50-50? Are you looking for Maldivian-style warm blue water with loads of fish or interested in something different, perhaps warm slightly less clear water with a different reef ecosystem (such as the Caribbean) or cooler waters still? How cool will you go?!!