Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD/SDXC card

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SD/SDXC card

I have an SDXC card that my camera (EOS 1000D) does not recognise. I presume it likes normal SD cards.
    Is there any way the card can be "changed" so that it works?
    TIA
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You can try a firmware update on the camera but it's an old camera so you may not have any joy with that.

Otherwise, no, I don't think so.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You could try formatting it with a PC.

I don't know where you got the card but there are a lot of fakes on eBay and other cheaper sites.
    I always buy from a reputable source and preferably one I can go back to for appropriate satisfaction if it fails.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    You could try formatting it with a PC.

I don't know where you got the card but there are a lot of fakes on eBay and other cheaper sites.
    I always buy from a reputable source and preferably one I can go back to for appropriate satisfaction if it fails.
    Tesco, so no problem. I will just admit my ignorance and throw myself onto their mercy.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I believe it is down to the formatting used - SDXC uses ExFAT as opposed to FAT32. ExFAT allows for larger capacities (32GB-2TB) whereas the cap for SDHC is 32GB.

You might be able to reformat it to FAT32 but not 100% that it will work especially if your card is over the 32GB - you might not be able to format it or you may lose any additional capacity over 32GB (the system will have no way to address it with FAT32).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Tesco, so no problem. I will just admit my ignorance and throw myself onto their mercy.
    Tesco's you say? You'll probably find they know less than you do!
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Looking at the interwebbything it seems that the Canon 1000D supports SD and SDHC but not SDXC cards.

Look at this: https://photo.stackexchange.com/ques...d-card-maximum
    It also explains the formatting which IS NOT FAT or FAT-32

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks all. I will take it back and remind myself, yet again, to read the packaging properly.
    Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    I believe it is down to the formatting used - SDXC uses ExFAT as opposed to FAT32. ExFAT allows for larger capacities (32GB-2TB) whereas the cap for SDHC is 32GB.

You might be able to reformat it to FAT32 but not 100% that it will work especially if your card is over the 32GB - you might not be able to format it or you may lose any additional capacity over 32GB (the system will have no way to address it with FAT32).
    Sorry, but this isn't right

An SD card is just a drive, it does as its told - the file format it uses depends on what application or device is doing the formatting. You could format it using HFS, NTFS, exfat, fat32, ext2/3, it's entirely up to you.

SDXC is simply higher capacity, there is a physical difference in the architecture compared to standard SD.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    Sorry, but this isn't right

An SD card is just a drive, it does as its told - the file format it uses depends on what application or device is doing the formatting. You could format it using HFS, NTFS, exfat, fat32, ext2/3, it's entirely up to you.

SDXC is simply higher capacity, there is a physical difference in the architecture compared to standard SD.
    I put it in a PC and the format options were one of the fats or NTFS. The default was the fat one. I re-did it on NTFS but the camera would not accept it so I put it back to the fat one, packaged it back up (sort of) and am ready to return it.
    Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast