Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What length of hose for an octopus?

I was talking to a new guy at our club who's looking at kit last night, and it got me thinking, I actually have a really short hose on my octopus, it just about reaches under my left armpit to the magent retainer I've got on my right wing should strap. If someone needed it we'd have to cling to each other pretty tight to make sure its reachable, potentially with a panicing buddy, I'd rather hold onto them at arms length.So what length of hose would people recommend for their octopus?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    2m

(Then breathe it yourself)

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    2.1 m
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The gas sharing ascents I did during the earlier days of my diving training were uncomfortable and very stressfull. I remember once, when my buddy's octo was trapped on the wrong side of it's hose clip, I spent quite a while breathing the reg from his armpit.

Primary donating a 2m hose is a solution which has been worked through. There's almost no stress. It works.

Having the space available results in a much calmer time. Arguably, just fitting a longer hose provides this. However, then you have to devise a way to store the reg / hose. I would just make the wholesale change.

These days, the hoses on my bailout cylinders are about 1.2m. For the same reason that it gives a good amount of clearance if they have to be donated.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
    I was talking to a new guy at our club who's looking at kit last night, and it got me thinking, I actually have a really short hose on my octopus, it just about reaches under my left armpit to the magent retainer I've got on my right wing should strap. If someone needed it we'd have to cling to each other pretty tight to make sure its reachable, potentially with a panicing buddy, I'd rather hold onto them at arms length.So what length of hose would people recommend for their octopus?
    Apeks supply their octopus with a 36" yellow hose. This seems to match most recreational sets I have seen and seems adequate for most divers.

Your setup is probably similar but you do need to bear in mind that, after the recipient has got your octopus, you need to slip your left shoulder under the hose to free up the full length. It will still be quite close and you should maintain physical contact as you conduct a controlled ascent.
    Last edited by dwhitlow; 16-10-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mine's 1.2m but that's not all that usual, though it is handy when demonstrating OOA skills, as it gives you plenty of room for people to see what's going on. I think 90cm is more "normal" but I could be wrong.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mines 1.5m which is also the same as the regs on my bail out cylinders.
    I have mine coming from the left as it means it fits in my buddy's mouth rather than being upside down if it came from the right (like many do).
    My octopus second stage is the same as my primary second stage apart from being yellow; nobody wants a crappy somewhat wet reg when they're panicking; I expect you to be similarly courteous.

You could do the primary donate/long hose thing but you probably need to bear in mind that most divers won't understand this as they're not trained for it. So it may be comfortable for you and your internet mates but probably won't be for actual divers you meet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    You could do the primary donate/long hose thing but you probably need to bear in mind that most divers won't understand this as they're not trained for it. So it may be comfortable for you and your internet mates but probably won't be for actual divers you meet.
    I've yet to meet anyone not capable of understanding primary donate. Sure, there are a lot of people that don't listen during a dive briefing or don't even do one, but being a dangerous idiot is not the same as failing to understand a simple concept.

Whatever you donate, it makes enormous sense to donate a longish hose. I would suggest your choice of 1.5m is enough for open water diving. My octopus rig has the same (just an old hose laying around). I would prefer 2m but 1.5 will do. Anything longer than the 90cm hose will offer enough flexibility that it is irrelevant where it is routed and which way up the 2nd stage is. The conventional right mounting works fine - I have done it for real. However the longer hose is much better and allows the two divers to settle down in a less stressful manner and is essential if you are in any kind of overhead environment or restriction.

If you do not breathe from the same reg you donate there is a possibility that the donated reg will be problematic. Some people care for their octo and provide a decent 2nd, some do not. The latter group might or might not include the instabuddy you are matched up to if you don't have a regular group of decent mates. This - so I am told - is why many people use a second tank as a bailout for self rescue. I have never needed such a device but if I were to do so I would probably use it as the octopus and with the option to clip off the entire rig if needed. This also has the same benefit as a twin cylinder long hose setup in that the donated reg has it's own 1st stage thus reducing stress on the 1st stage having two divers breathing off it.

Nearly everyone I know dives a long primary and operates primary donate. I will happily use a different setup if the situation calls for it but I would still donate a 1.5 or 2m hose.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Nearly everyone I know dives a long primary and operates primary donate. I will happily use a different setup if the situation calls for it but I would still donate a 1.5 or 2m hose.
    I'm guessing that you're a gooer or similar.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ok, I think I might go with a longer octopus hose for the moment, so a 1.5 or 2 m yellow hose sounds good, is there a particularly good brand to buy? I'm guessing its an idea to bungee the excess somewhere?

I've got an aqualung core octopus, I'm assuming its 3/8?

http://www.aqualung.com/dk/gear/alte...-octopus#tab17
    Last edited by sim667; 16-10-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast