Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

O2 clean brand new

Ok, I should probably know this, but here goes.. never been in this particular situations.

Just had some new tanks delivered, but they were sent disassembled. I can get my LDS to fit/torque in the valves.

My question is whether the tanks can be used for nitrox? The valves are good out of the box to 40%o2, but do the tanks have to be o2 cleaned even though they have never been used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    More than likely your local dive shop will want to O2 clean them.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Years ago my first twinset was bought from Diving NikNaks and was delivered this way.
    I assembled it in my oxygen clean dining room and took it for an air fill and all was well...

Some weeks later I went to DiveLife (when it was a little pokey shop ran by Brett) who was a little worried and reassembled it properly and eventually after many phone calls and much discussion with Diving NikNaks accepted that it was oxygen clean.

I think I'd make sure it's correctly assembled and find a friendly dive shop who'll accept this. Failing that I'd take it to said dive shop and let them assemble it.

Broadly speaking, brand new kit is oxygen clean even if it's not specifically stated because nobody would make some cylinders oxygen clean and some not because it's too much faff to differentiate.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would not have said that brand new kit is O2 clean, there are cylinders arriving in the country with oil residue within and to make that blanket statement can be seen as misleading.
    O2 clean affects anything being used with an O2 concentration above 22%.
    The 40 % goes back to a NOAA standard that was written some time ago.
    I would recommend looking at the British Compressed Gas Association (BCGA) guidance

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by smk82 View Post
    The valves are good out of the box to 40%o2
    Remember that most diving nitrox is blended by first filling the cylinder with 100% O2, then topping up with air, so they need to be clean for oxygen service.
    (unless you've got a fancy membrane or continuous blend compressor)
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you fill yourself;
    If the cylinders looked clean by torch and by "white rag on a stick" test I'd not worry.
    Valve is worth cleaning properly as if you are blending 40% you will be putting quite a bit of pure oxy through them.

If you don't fill yourself;
    Your local rinky dink will probably make their own rules up as they go along anyway so ask them what they think. Obviously they'll insist on O2 cleaning it themselves (i.e screwing the valve in).
    On the other hand, as long as it's got an oxygen clean sticker on it, it'll probably get filled.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by smk82 View Post
    Ok, I should probably know this, but here goes.. never been in this particular situations.

Just had some new tanks delivered, but they were sent disassembled. I can get my LDS to fit/torque in the valves.

My question is whether the tanks can be used for nitrox? The valves are good out of the box to 40%o2, but do the tanks have to be o2 cleaned even though they have never been used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Were they sent with O2 clean stickers? If not then you know the answer, as you will just have issues getting them filled wherever you go, if you only self fill them or only dive air then it's no probs.