Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BcDiver View Post
    I have a tray similar to the one you have linked, got it from AliExpress. Have also got these lights from AliExpress, incredibly bright when they work but I've had two flood on me and a third one is still going, they're just not reliable so you are really taking a chance. Prob better spending a bit more on a trusted brand.

£22.73 39%OFF | LED Diving Flashlight XHP70 / 90 LED Photography Video Light Underwater 100m Waterproof Camera Tactical Torch Lamp
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2u3WWrfL9

Something similar to this.
    I'm actually just looking at this tray now, as I think it would allow me to do quite a lot of stuff in and out of the water (I do have a bit of a background in photography and video and run events).

https://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/G...riad-Grip-Tray

When you go for a dive, do you use video lights and a torch, or use the video lights to see and the torch as redundancy?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd definitely recommend a dual handle tray as the first purchase, but definitely think about how big it is as gloved hands on a small tray are a big annoyance. As others have said, I wouldn't go with filters, a video light will do wonders for the quality you get.

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Make one of these - or similar - for a few quid ?

I've bought bits from here in the past - https://www.flex-arm.com/en-gb

- they have everything if you dig around the site a bit, fast delivery

(Links a bit messy as on my phone sorry - will tidy up later !)
    Last edited by UnCheeky Monkey; 18-10-2019 at 06:48 PM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    https://youtu.be/aeIAtNd2auA

Make one of these - or similar - for a few quid ?

I've bought bits from here in the past - https://www.flex-arm.com/en-gb

- they have everything if you dig around the site a bit, fast delivery

(Links a bit messy as on my phone sorry - will tidy up later !)
    Knowing my luck that would fall apart on me.... You wouldn't be able to get lights on it either would you as it needs a shoe?

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
    Knowing my luck that would fall apart on me.... You wouldn't be able to get lights on it either would you as it needs a shoe?
    I used loc-line for light arms (cannibalised from go pro extension arms I found being sold on clearance) and bought drilled loc line base mount pieces from flex-arm - dead easy to fit to the top of a handle or anywhere on that sort of two handled base - and also bought light holder adapters from them. Worth a poke round their site.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A bit to think about then..... I'm not buying until next month anyway, so a while to look around.

One last thing, I should know this, having a degree in photography etc, but just want to be sure. A continuous video light should be fine for lighting stills on it too, right?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm actually just looking at this tray now, as I think it would allow me to do quite a lot of stuff in and out of the water (I do have a bit of a background in photography and video and run events).

https://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/G...riad-Grip-Tray

When you go for a dive, do you use video lights and a torch, or use the video lights to see and the torch as redundancy?
    When I bother bringing the video lights with me I would carry another torch just as a back up but just use the video lights for seeing as they are very bright bit no use at penetrating any distance where a normal narrower beam torch would be

Procrastinating
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A bit to think about then..... I'm not buying until next month anyway, so a while to look around.
    Don't forget that there will likely be some offers on in the Black Friday sales at the end of November, if you can hold off that long. That's my plan

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart_m View Post
    Don't forget that there will likely be some offers on in the Black Friday sales at the end of November, if you can hold off that long. That's my plan
    Ah yeah, good shout.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One last thing, I should know this, having a degree in photography etc, but just want to be sure. A continuous video light should be fine for lighting stills on it too, right?
    You can use video lights to light stills, how effective they'll be depends on conditions, and how much money you blow on the lights.... A strobe fires at about 50,000 lumens, so light output is substantially less for the majority of non pro video (ie affordable ) video lights.

Its also a constant light, so motion blur becomes more apparent (strobe light helps to freeze the motion)
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast