Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What accessories for underwater video on go pro?

So after ages of umming and arring with the money sitting waiting to buy a go pro, I decided to take the plunge (some very kinda stranger on reddit sent me a 25% discount code)..... So I've bought a go pro hero 8 and a waterproof case for it.So what accessories should I be considering for it? I guess I need something to mount it on to hold it, like a handle? Possibly a light? Or a filter (I mainly dive in the UK, infact almost all my diving is UK). Eventually I'd like to make a little youtube channel of underwater wrecks around the UK.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd go for a simple, cheap handle first with some way of attaching to your harness/bcd. Then use it for a while to see how you get on with it. I think the better videos are made when you're holding the camera rather than having it strapped to you. Then I'd go for a red filter to take out some of the green from UK diving. If you also want to take some up top footage on the diveboat etc get a filter that you can remove without opening the case. After that if you're still enjoying taking video look for a lighting rig, doesn't have to be too expensive.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw13 View Post
    I'd go for a simple, cheap handle first with some way of attaching to your harness/bcd. Then use it for a while to see how you get on with it. I think the better videos are made when you're holding the camera rather than having it strapped to you. Then I'd go for a red filter to take out some of the green from UK diving. If you also want to take some up top footage on the diveboat etc get a filter that you can remove without opening the case. After that if you're still enjoying taking video look for a lighting rig, doesn't have to be too expensive.
    Yeah I was looking at filters and just a single handle to start and try playing around with that. I'd like to get the hang of it whilst its winter and hopefully I'll be pretty adept by the time I go up to shetland next july.The new one also has a hypersmooth function which should help me get quite smooth footage.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
    Yeah I was looking at filters and just a single handle to start and try playing around with that. I'd like to get the hang of it whilst its winter and hopefully I'll be pretty adept by the time I go up to shetland next july.The new one also has a hypersmooth function which should help me get quite smooth footage.
    Get lights rather than filters.

Filters block light to get their desired effect whereas lights actually add the full spectrum of light (and we need them for (a) light and (b) all of the colours).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A red filter is nice, but you really need some lighting for UK dive video.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I wouldn't bother with a filter for the UK. There's rarely enough light as it is, so trying to cut some of it out in order to do the colour correction is counter productive.

Like all photogrophy, it's all about the light.

I'd suggest playing around with it as is, using whatever lights you have with you anyway. See how you feel about the results. Try and colour correct in post.

Then you can decide whether you want to take stills or video and then big or little stuff. From there, you should be able to get some suggestions for lights.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So in reality a budget light and handle might be better?I was just about to buy a new torch, but I guess a light for a go pro is effectively a torch too, so two birds, one stone?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Lights is what you need for UK.

Get a tray that enables you to hold it with two hands, the video will be shaky otherwise. Then get some cheap arms/clamps from Amazon or eBay and some of the 50 lights from Amazon.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm thinking something like this for light? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suptig-Unde...dDbGljaz10cnVl

And something like this for the tray?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHOOT-Stabi...1395748&sr=8-4

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a tray similar to the one you have linked, got it from AliExpress. Have also got these lights from AliExpress, incredibly bright when they work but I've had two flood on me and a third one is still going, they're just not reliable so you are really taking a chance. Prob better spending a bit more on a trusted brand.

£22.73 39%OFF | LED Diving Flashlight XHP70 / 90 LED Photography Video Light Underwater 100m Waterproof Camera Tactical Torch Lamp
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2u3WWrfL9

Something similar to this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast