X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tibbs78
    TDF Member
    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Chrisch
    Yes. But the hog loop is doing it correctly whilst the other alternatives are not.
    Shush, we're not supposed to talk like that any more!

I'm still waiting to see the mythical video BSAC created of them choking someone with a long hose. I was told it existed, but it was never put out.
    Last edited by Tibbs78; 18-10-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Chrisch
      Tofu eating wokerato
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Tibbs78
      Shush, we're not supposed to talk like that any more!

I'm still waiting to see the mythical video BSAC created of them choking someone with a long hose. I was told it existed, but it was never put out.
      Oh it exists alright. It's on the dark web. David Cameron in a rubber suit being choked with a long hose.
      There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
      With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Allan Carr
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

If you want a cheaper version of the Apeks device, a trip to Wickes for some rainwater pipe could be an alternative.

Comment

• dwhitlow
          Coastal Member
          • Dec 2012

Yes. But the hog loop is doing it correctly whilst the other alternatives are not.
          Sorry. CCR is doing it correctly and everything else is a waste of gas! There are those who combine hog loop and CCR but IMHO that is just silly.

Comment

• dwhitlow
            Coastal Member
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by stuart_m
            That's interesting, it was on the BSAC twin set course where the idea of using bungee was first suggested to me. I've been using it for a few years now and have never had a problem with the hoses snagging on deployment.
            It was just a feature of the twinning bands I had and wasn't hard to work around. However, I took it as a sign to stay as I was and instead I assisted the 'unqualified' hog looping divers in the branch to get an ART ticket. This enabled them to dive as they chose and maintained compliance with BSAC dogma so everyone was happy.
            Originally posted by stuart_m
            Totally get the point about re-stowing but to be honest whenever I've needed to do that I just gesticulate at my buddy and get them to do it. In a real emergency re-stowing isn't an issue anyway.
            In a real emergency you would need to restow after you've both switched gas. However, your simplest option would be to hog loop the hose. After all you could donate it as you'd already done. Alternatively, your 'no longer panicking' buddy could stuff it back in the bungee.

Comment

• jturner
              Established TDF Member
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by dwhitlow
              In a real emergency you would need to restow after you've both switched gas. However, your simplest option would be to hog loop the hose. After all you could donate it as you'd already done. Alternatively, your 'no longer panicking' buddy could stuff it back in the bungee.
              I think your second sentence said all that's needed to be said. Bungeeing a long hose is what was once the best idea someone could come up with to make a long-hose twinset kit look and act a bit like a traditional single cylinder setup. It's a compromise and works, sort of. But it's just simpler to hog loop the hose, even on a single cylinder setup.
              The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• witchieblackcat
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

According to your dogma. Others have other dogma. I have a loop so don't really care.

Oh it exists alright. It's on the dark web. David Cameron in a rubber suit being choked with a long hose.
                Don't really care if it's long or short but Cameron being choked appeals.

Comment

• Wardy_uk
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by dwhitlow

I assisted the 'unqualified' hog looping divers in the branch to get an ART ticket.
                  ART being?

Comment

• Chrisch
                    Tofu eating wokerato
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Wardy_uk
                    ART being?
                    Advanced Recreation Trimix.

A popular course for c50m diving with the option to offset N2 a little. I'm sure there is enough bullshit controversy about this course to get us to page 10 on the thread
                    There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.

Comment

• Wardy_uk
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Jan 2016

ART being?
                      ah yes - ofcourse it is... having a brain-fart this morning!

its a shame none of the proper Tech agencies do just a primary-donate/hog loop course really - would be useful for us BSAC divers just flirting with tech diving, using twinsets and accelerating deco but want to "offically" use the long hose... <shrugs>

Comment

• jturner
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

ah yes - ofcourse it is... having a brain-fart this morning!

its a shame none of the proper Tech agencies do just a primary-donate/hog loop course really - would be useful for us BSAC divers just flirting with tech diving, using twinsets and accelerating deco but want to "offically" use the long hose... <shrugs>
                        I think they'd be accused of being Padi if they did, creating a course for something so simple. I think it's covered in various Foundations/Fundamentals courses though, should you be tempted. Or you could get someone who knows how to do it properly to coach you?
                        The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• Chrisch
                          Tofu eating wokerato
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by jturner
                          I think they'd be accused of being Padi if they did, creating a course for something so simple. I think it's covered in various Foundations/Fundamentals courses though, should you be tempted. Or you could get someone who knows how to do it properly to coach you?
                          It was the case (assume still is) if you were a BSAC instructor you couldn't teach primary donate and so many many people who could have covered this in 10 minutes on a cold winter's night at a club meeting where there wasn't much else to do were stopped from doing so. I have always assumed many broke BSAC rules to show how to do it just as many solo dive or go in overhead environments of do not practice rule of thirds.

Comment

• Barrygoss
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

What length of hose for an octopus?

It was the case (assume still is) if you were a BSAC instructor you couldn't teach primary donate and so many many people who could have covered this in 10 minutes on a cold winter's night at a club meeting where there wasn't much else to do were stopped from doing so. I have always assumed many broke BSAC rules to show how to do it just as many solo dive or go in overhead environments of do not practice rule of thirds.
                            Well until BSAC semi revoked the hog loop edict, I didn’t train a single diver.
                            Interesting to see the membership reportedly go up once the hog edict was revoked

B
                            Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Comment

• Allan Carr
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Barrygoss
                              Well until BSAC semi revoked the hog loop edict, I didn’t train a single diver.
                              Interesting to see the membership reportedly go up once the hog edict was revoked

B
                              I doubt that is the reason - most BSAC members have never heard of hog-looping or even long hoses come to that.

Comment

• dwhitlow
                                Coastal Member
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Allan Carr
                                I doubt that is the reason - most BSAC members have never heard of hog-looping or even long hoses come to that.
                                Indeed.

For most divers a long hose is something they use to wash their kit down. I used mine today and it worked a treat and stowing was a simple matter of winding it back onto the reel.
                                Last edited by dwhitlow; 20-10-2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...