Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kiss Sidewinder

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    interesting blog on the side winder

http://www.protecblog.com/?fbclid=Iw...wKbYvFWnO6gIqM

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have the back mounted spirit for travel, which is a huge difference compared to my JJ, and even the Classic Kiss. Extremely lightweight. WOB concerns with the two smaller scrubbers is compensated for by the lungs wrapping around your torso to some extent, and it is a really nice unit to dive. And very very simple.

For this one I got insulated scrubbers, not the heated ones, but hear they are pretty good in the cold with the heated ones. I donít really fancy the sidewinder because I donít do caves or side mount. But see a lot of extreme looking dives done on them.
    Not going to go CE I would think.

People have take them very deep but Iím not bothered about that. Weighing less than a 12 and a pony is quite good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How do people feel about CCR's that have only a dedicated 02 cylinder and use the bailout cylinder to double up as dil for the unit?
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pretty common set up in cave community tbh, some load a 2nd 02 cyl where dil was for redundancy on BM units, I guess once you know ave dil usage per exposure you can allocate gas reserves accordingly and have a strict pressure at which you refill.

The larger dil volume is usually part of the design to cater for sawtooth profiles which chew through dil.

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    Pretty common set up in cave community tbh, some load a 2nd 02 cyl where dil was for redundancy on BM units, I guess once you know ave dil usage per exposure you can allocate gas reserves accordingly and have a strict pressure at which you refill.

The larger dil volume is usually part of the design to cater for sawtooth profiles which chew through dil.
    Here my ignorance of CCR will no doubt show. A first stage failure on the bailout could render you without access to dil where as a more conventional setup would give you some redundancy (either onboard supply or bailout depending on which failed). I am thinking in general terms, not specifically cave.
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you are doing it properly you will also have another bailout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Most SW units will have 2 bailouts of the same mix 1 if which runs dil too, deco stages as required are then added as required along with suit cyl if trimix usually.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Here my ignorance of CCR will no doubt show. A first stage failure on the bailout could render you without access to dil where as a more conventional setup would give you some redundancy (either onboard supply or bailout depending on which failed). I am thinking in general terms, not specifically cave.
    I understand certain UK cave divers using large combined Dil / bailouts use a Y valve - again there is still a single point of failure (neck o ring) but pretty low probability.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dave did u import the kiss spirit, how hard was it if u did, got a real yearning for a SW to go with my Classic

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The excellent Speaking Sidemount Podcast covers Steve Martin's training on his first rebreather - a Kiss Sidewinder - with Ed Sorensen.

Excellent to hear all those really interesting things such as flat, streamlined trim, crawling through restrictions by taking tins off, resistance to flooding.

Really impressed with what I heard about the rig!

The video's the mutts gnutts - given that Steve - the guy being videoed - has only just completed his initial training using the rig. From all the diving I've done with people on rebreathers, none of them have ever looked this good in the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3bKNmXERKQ
    https://www.sidemountpros.com/speakingsidemountpodcast

Really beginning to ponder that this rig really is a contender for my first (and last) rebreather for general purpose diving.

So who's the UK trainer for the Sidewinder?
    Last edited by Wibs; 08-11-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast