Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiss Sidewinder

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kiss Sidewinder

Is there any likelyhood of the Kiss Sidewinder 'sidemount' rebreather becoming CE certified? (as if that's not a moot point!)

Has anyone used one; what's it like? It looks wonderful in the water, as all the best demos would. There's something about sidemount in the water looking supremely slick; streamlined, well sorted, etc. If anyone's tried one, whats it like to don and doff? Is it a massive faff, or just different, as is sidemount to backmount.

Now the daft question; would this be a feasible purchase for a first rebreather? Would this work OK in the sea on wrecks as well as underground? Who would do the training? Where to purchase? Can it be imported? Anywhere to do trial dives?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Best to ask your later questions on a US forum like SB. There was a thread recently where a few comments were made about the SW alluding to the fact that it's a bit of a PITA in cold water due to the extra elements required like suit heaters, deco cyls if deep, suit bottles if on mix etc.

I'll see if I can find the thread, but if you are on SB a member by the name of rjack dived one in caves mainly and is realistic about it's pros and cons.

Forget CE tho!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In Europe the closest match seems to be the Triton if u need CE/instructors. I think Martin Robson was hoping to start teaching on the Lungfish too but not heard anything recently.

I like the look of the SW and Triton but getting hold of the former would be problematic and cost of the latter is high IMO.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kiss Sidewinder

The cost of the CE testing process to EN 14143 appears to be the main inhibiting factor as well as the thorny issue of what to do if your unit fails the tests as I understand there are 52 separate tests in the process.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Speak to Patrick Widmann or Edd Sorenson.....
    Last edited by ScottyG; 16-10-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Am currently doing research for my future box. I'll be buying one to last me the rest of my diving career.

The Sidewinder's been mentioned in lots of places I respect. Just on videos alone, I love the idea of diving flat and streamlined. It's staggering how awful some rebreather divers look in the water, be that seahorse trim or vertical bailout tins. It's a joy to see those Edd Sorenson videos where he's diving a rebreather as if it's sidemount.

As I've never had a rebreather, I've no opinion on Manual v. Auto, although I do quite like the simplicity and discipline of Manual.

One of the videos of the Sidewinder I've seen did have someone with two small cylinders mounted transversely on their bum. If nothing else, it was still missing the suit heater and torch batteries, but it's not particularly streamlined if transversely mounted.

Its almost as if it could do with three or four long and thin cylinders strapped vertically to our back (OK, one or two are batteries). It is backmounted, although would be much lower than any back-mounted rebreather.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Seen this Wibs, Edd talks about training in France:

https://youtu.be/GeIni49ZHcM

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kiss Sidewinder

Bear in mind when picking a backmount CCR for open water diving, what works well in a cave does not always work well in the sea. If it has no Tís in the loop such as in the Inspo, JJ, Meg etc, when youíre vertical youíll get hamster cheeks such as when your waiting on the surface to be picked up because the DSV is above the level of your lungs or if your head down, you wonít be able to breathe as the DSV will be below the level of the lungs. From a rEvo diver!
    Last edited by cathal; 16-10-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sf2 has a side mount option and is CE

(Posting on behalf of Kim )

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast