Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    That's a terrible idea, don't do it.
    The US1 is meant for pony bottles that have a second stage on them and nothing else.

If the HP seat fails it will likely blow your suit inflate valve or the hose to bits as there's no way (without stupid adapters) to fit an OPV.

Well I didn't think it needed that much detail, but hey

The US1/DS1 was orginally designed for ponies & commercial work with one LP & 1 HP port at a time when it was
    common to use adapters on first stages to add LP ports. Since then the use has expanded as diving changed and
    with many already in divers possesion got repurposed for suit inflate. These are a simple LP hose going direct to a
    drysuit inlet and is still a fairly common rig. .

Nowdays and with the systems being used a lot more, especially in the tec realm a over pressure relief valve in
    some circles is reccommended. Those already with a DS1 and a handy adapter, for the cost of about 25 a OPRV
    can be added. For those buying new or S/h not a lot of point as the DS4 is more plentiful anyway and negates
    the need for the adapter.

Is it wrong or a bad idea NOT to have a OPRV? Comes down to the old assessment of what is a very low risk and
    how often this is likely to happen if at all, how catastrophic and even then how effective any protocols that are in
    place to deal with it. Old school tend to be happy, the young turks not so much, so you takes your choice

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Just condense it down to go buy a DIN atx40/DS4 and spend the money you save on twiddly knobs and cosmetic changes on going diving.
    I'd expand that a tad and say
    DIN DS4/ATX40
    DIN DST/XTX40 or XTX50 (+a 5th port conversion).

Any combination of that lot will do any rig.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks all for the useful additions - in slower time I'll make the necessary updates. Special thanks for Tel - I can now add a whole new para on what to look out for if buying second hand.
    Last edited by Neil R; 10-10-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil R View Post
    Thanks all for the useful additions - in slower time I'll make the necessary updates. Special thanks for Tel - I can now add a whole new para on what to look out for if buying second hand.
    Remembered one more nasty to avoid - Apeks Sentinel

And thank you, been meaning to do a ist like that for ages, so will be stealing that and adding some pics

PS: When you are on a roll and this is done might be worth adding Apeks drysuit outlet/inlet valves to the mix along with types of nipples and hoses.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'll fight anyone who says DS4's are not preferable for a twinset. They're only not preferable if you're disregarding the involved.

Diminishing returns in terms of hose routing against money. Never had any problems with the bends on the hoses with DS4s. Nobody buys fancy first stages for stage bottles / drysuit bottles etc. and you mentioned the benefit of having then all the same. I'm still using the DS4 I bought when I started diving on my rebreather somewhere. Couldn't tell you which one it is.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    Well I didn't think it needed that much detail, but hey

The US1/DS1 was orginally designed for ponies & commercial work with one LP & 1 HP port at a time when it was
    common to use adapters on first stages to add LP ports. Since then the use has expanded as diving changed and
    with many already in divers possesion got repurposed for suit inflate. These are a simple LP hose going direct to a
    drysuit inlet and is still a fairly common rig. .

Nowdays and with the systems being used a lot more, especially in the tec realm a over pressure relief valve in
    some circles is reccommended. Those already with a DS1 and a handy adapter, for the cost of about 25 a OPRV
    can be added. For those buying new or S/h not a lot of point as the DS4 is more plentiful anyway and negates
    the need for the adapter.

Is it wrong or a bad idea NOT to have a OPRV? Comes down to the old assessment of what is a very low risk and
    how often this is likely to happen if at all, how catastrophic and even then how effective any protocols that are in
    place to deal with it. Old school tend to be happy, the young turks not so much, so you takes your choice
    I had a DST on a suit. Old reg that was doing nothing and I needed a suit reg. OPV fitted but turned out it was stuck closed.

HP seat failed.

Blew the suit valve off the suit just as I was getting into the water. Back out, dekit, fix the valve.

5 mins later another loud bang and the reg had blown itself apart.

New OPVs fitted to all regs that needed an OPV and a new DS4 fitted to the suit.

OPVs are needed and need to work. If the suit valve had blown apart in the water it would have been a serious flood in a winter quarry
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    TX and ATX second stages are similar but have slightly different size diaphragms they do work sort of but can give a wet breathe that suddenly gets worse!
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    I had a DST on a suit. Old reg that was doing nothing and I needed a suit reg. OPV fitted but turned out it was stuck closed.

HP seat failed.

Blew the suit valve off the suit just as I was getting into the water. Back out, dekit, fix the valve.

5 mins later another loud bang and the reg had blown itself apart.

New OPVs fitted to all regs that needed an OPV and a new DS4 fitted to the suit.

OPVs are needed and need to work. If the suit valve had blown apart in the water it would have been a serious flood in a winter quarry

Not knocking your choice of a OPV especially if you've had first hand experience of one go, but if an old 1st stage fails because it's not
    been serviced/checked, surely the moral that should be taken away from that is it should be serviced/checked before anything else is considered?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    Not knocking your choice of a OPV especially if you've had first hand experience of one go, but if an old 1st stage fails because it's not
    been serviced/checked, surely the moral that should be taken away from that is it should be serviced/checked before anything else is considered?
    It had been serviced.
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    It had been serviced.
    There's the problem! Solution is not to service them
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast