Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

light monkey torch flickering - looks like a dodgy cable...is fixing 'easy'?

My lightmonkey 32w light has developed a flicker when I wiggle the light cord - seems to be somewhere past where the cord enters the light head.
    There's just a nut holding a cable protector than another plastic nut where the light goes into the head - is checking the state of the connection simply a matter of undoing the nut and having a look inside or is this something I should leave to someone else?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinimalMayhem View Post
    My lightmonkey 32w light has developed a flicker when I wiggle the light cord - seems to be somewhere past where the cord enters the light head.
    There's just a nut holding a cable protector than another plastic nut where the light goes into the head - is checking the state of the connection simply a matter of undoing the nut and having a look inside or is this something I should leave to someone else?
    If you are asking the question then I suggest you do nothing and get someone in the know to look at it. Deep Ideas can fix it for you.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    If you are asking the question then I suggest you do nothing and get someone in the know to look at it. Deep Ideas can fix it for you.
    +1

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There will be a break in one of the cores in the flexible cable. It will need a complete cable replacement. It can be done if you’re competent but there are a few things that can go wrong that will render the light useless. (Polarity/cable colours vary with type and are reversed in e/o. The delrin internal threads are soft and will fail at a torque lower than needed to tighten the glands. The bottom nut on the glands needs a half thickness spanner. The soldered connections are big on 1.5mm2 cable, you’ll need a high power soldering iron to do it without heating the switch up and damaging it.)

I’ve done one end of a cable by shortening it without much hassle, but it didn’t last long. Complete replacement was a fair bit of work and really I should have sent it to deep ideas a got new glands & orings etc.