Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Car breakdown cover

As per title recommendations for breakdown cover. Have just cancelled my RAC cover as they wanted close to 300 for a year having been a member for some 20years and only having to use them about 6 times it is not really value for money. So am looking for alternatives or could re-join from scratch to get a better deal..........
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    As per title recommendations for breakdown cover. Have just cancelled my RAC cover as they wanted close to 300 for a year having been a member for some 20years and only having to use them about 6 times it is not really value for money. So am looking for alternatives or could re-join from scratch to get a better deal..........
    I was in a similar position with the AA - spoke to them and they pretty much halved the cost

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've used Green flag for a good few years - somewhere between 200 and 300 from memory to cover both car and motorbike. I've had two rides home after car breakdowns, and I'm ashamed to confess, a number of key-in-boot incidents. It was all well handled, and they've not particularly ratcheted the price up like RAC / AA usually do

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    I was in a similar position with the AA - spoke to them and they pretty much halved the cost
    Tried that and they did not want to know!! However by taking out a new policy the cost drops to 145 v Green Flag 116.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We use Britannia rescue - no idea how much we pay, but it's very cheap as Rob is ex BT and they had a deal. It insures any vehicle we choose to drive and a named one for Rob's mother. It uses local garages as agents, so they generally arrive very quickly and have a good idea of where you are. Obviously service must be variable, but we've not had a bad experience yet.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

https://www.rescuemycar.com

If you go through TopCashback you get money back too.
    Last edited by Ginner; 01-10-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    i was the same as you now i use my bank (Barclays) and i get all year travel ins plus car breakdown cover for both my wife and myself for 12.50 a month, i put this through an account that we get cash rewards back, usually about 7.00 per month before fees of 3.00 per month, so i am up on the deal.

alby

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have AA, ~240 a year, only kept it because it covers any vehicle I am in.

Car has Volvo on call as part of the warranty, that got the car repatriated from Lille last year: a taxi to Calais, a hire car to get the family home and for the two and a half weeks while the V60 got returned and fixed.

Only used the AA twice in 25years, having seen some prices for car recovery, I am probably about square!

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use autoaid. 60 cover for 2 people (have to be spouses) on any car, including roadside assistance, recovery and home start.

They've been very helpful on the few times I've had to call them.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check to see what type of bank account you have.

We have a gold or maybe even a platinum account with Nat West (they charge for the privilege) and they give us holiday insurance, life cover, car breakdown and other things like membership to English and Scottish heritage societies and such like.

So might be worth looking into?

taz

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast