Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by t0by View Post
    Ok, so is the assumption that you need to plan for your stage not being there when you need it?
    Or more likely not working in some way. I've seen this twice already in the 50 or so stage dives I've done. Once some mud/rock was under the exhaust valve (we had a spare deco cylinder) and buddy team with us had a stage reg free-flowing whenever it was turned on (they swapped regs underwater).

However, if the tanks are all the same size and even if you plan 3rds in everything, you can still lose a stage and only just get out on your own gas, without borrowing from the team. 1/2's+reserve and you will have more than this.

If you are diving with more than 1 stage and with a scooter, planning for all eventualities becomes very difficult. At this point it's a case of having lots of gas with lots of flexible options. Keeping the entire backgas as reserve is a common approach. This is most likely where the 1/2s system originated. It's simpler, just use the stages until half full, leave for the return trip. Re-fill all the empty cylinders, top the backgas.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ok, so is the assumption that you need to plan for your stage not being there when you need it?
    Exactly - it's not such an issue somewhere without flow, but in Florida, the flow can activate the purge, and if you forget to turn your gas off you can find your stage empty when you return. Or your stage can get nicked out of the cave. Apparently that has happened...

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    2 weeks ago, I was cleaning up kit after a dive on CCR in the mines of NW. 1 of the bailout regs woudnt hold a vacuum, pulling it to bits revealed a shed load of grit and slate debris under the diaphragm.

I had carried it throughout the dive, but one of the adits was very silty so assume it percolated in whilst tieing off.

Would have been a wet breathe for sure.

Figuring out a good way to screen the 2nd stage for future now.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    I had some apeks regs serviced in the UK recently and the second stage cover was screwed very tight. Apparently this is what apeks advise.

Which is kind of weird because I often need to unscrew it while diving to clean out the debris.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had some apeks regs serviced in the UK recently and the second stage cover was screwed very tight. Apparently this is what apeks advise.

Which is kind of weird because I often need to unscrew it while diving to clean out the debris.
    A friend of mine asked about this and it was apparently just to make sure the logo is straight. Mine are all hand tight, so I can get to the diaphragm. Makes the logo a bit skew-whiff mind.

Maybe Badger can confirm if there's anything more than that?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    Cut up a pair of tights to use as a filter

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Cut up a pair of tights to use as a filter
    Womens tights on a regulator ? That's just wrong on so many levels.

Surely you mean stockings !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234