Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Silicone neck seal kit or latex neck seal?

Hi, As my neck seal needs replacing should I go for one of these -
    https://www.simplyscuba.com/products...-neck-seal-kit
    Or should I stick to a latex seal?

Thanks

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That looks like the old version. The new one has castellated lumps in the ring.

Absolutely think they’re great. Have one on my suit. Amazingly I’ve yet to change the neck seal despite doing over 400 dives in the suit. Always carry a spare neck seal with the suit.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    That looks like the old version. The new one has castellated lumps in the ring.

Absolutely think they’re great. Have one on my suit. Amazingly I’ve yet to change the neck seal despite doing over 400 dives in the suit. Always carry a spare neck seal with the suit.
    What you say sounds promising. Is it easy to replace the latex seal with the neck ring and seal at home? Is the newer version with lumps in the ring nay better?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Send the suit off to have the silicone system fitted. It'll cost you a little more this time round but every time you have to do a seal replacement in the future, you'll be quids in. The actual ring system needs to be fitted professionally imo.

Changing the seals from then on is a piece of cake. It's slightly more difficult than changing kubi wrist seals but not much more so. 5 minute job at home, maybe double that time if you're on a rocking boat.

I haven't found any issues with the silicone seals being anymore delicate than latex. My current seal is 2+ years old and shows no sign of wear. The neck system will take both silicone and latex seals so buy a latex seal to stick in your spares box. It should store better than the silicone version and it'll be slightly cheaper. That will save your day/weekend/week of diving. Once you get home you can buy a nicer fresh silicone seal to fit.

Absolutely no complaints from me. One of the few genuinely beneficial additions to my kit over the years. The plastic rings don't get in the way.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWdiver View Post
    Send the suit off to have the silicone system fitted. It'll cost you a little more this time round but every time you have to do a seal replacement in the future, you'll be quids in. The actual ring system needs to be fitted professionally imo.

Changing the seals from then on is a piece of cake. It's slightly more difficult than changing kubi wrist seals but not much more so. 5 minute job at home, maybe double that time if you're on a rocking boat.

I haven't found any issues with the silicone seals being anymore delicate than latex. My current seal is 2+ years old and shows no sign of wear. The neck system will take both silicone and latex seals so buy a latex seal to stick in your spares box. It should store better than the silicone version and it'll be slightly cheaper. That will save your day/weekend/week of diving. Once you get home you can buy a nicer fresh silicone seal to fit.

Absolutely no complaints from me. One of the few genuinely beneficial additions to my kit over the years. The plastic rings don't get in the way.
    Thats great advise thanks. I think I will go the silicone way and will ask a centre to fit it for me. Did you do the same to the wrist seals too?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Kubi dry gloves. The ring system can now be glued into the suit. Seals can be changed by just popping off and refitting o-rings.

Again, I just have a couple of cheap latex wrist seals in the spares box which could be fitted between dives. Never needed them either.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Second @NWdiver's point about Kubi dry gloves.

Ignoring the drygloves for a moment; the *Fitted* Kubi system has easy-to-replace wrist seals, so can still be used without drygloves. These seals can be changed in two minutes.

The drygloves are excellent. Far more dexterity and warmth than wet gloves, especially in the winter / early spring.

Neck seals: fitting this is a professional job. Once done you've the flexibility and quick change ability.

Latex v silicone: it's a personal preference. I strongly prefer silicone simply because it doesn't rot. Latex degrades after a while (like if they're kept in your suit bag as spares and you find they've melted when you need them).

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Hi, As my neck seal needs replacing should I go for one of these -
    https://www.simplyscuba.com/products...-neck-seal-kit
    Or should I stick to a latex seal?

Thanks
    Neither. Neoprene is so much nicer; warmer, more comfortable, more durable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    Neither. Neoprene is so much nicer; warmer, more comfortable, more durable.
    In your humble opinion?

I prefer silicone for the same reasons. I dislike neoprene as it’s easily torn, needs care when donning and doffing, and leaks. But hey, that’s just me.

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You think Neoprene tears easier than silicone?
    You think silicone is warmer than neoprene?

That tells me all I need to know, as if I didn't know it already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast