Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scapa

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart_m View Post
    The company that runs the Valkyrie and Valhalla have a track record of not paying their staff minimum wage so personally I'd avoid them on ethical grounds.
    There are also 2 sides to every story and based on what I know about this case I remain very happy to go with H&H. I would however avoid any operation who employed some of their former staff.
    I will not however be sharing what I know in public so please don't ask me to.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My favourite boat is the Jean Elaine, maybe a little bit more rough around the edges than some of the pricier options but you won't find a better dive boat skipper on Orkney.
    +1

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I like the Halton, as we all have our individual taste. Food is generally good and hearty but basic, the gas mixes are always spot on and the briefings are detailed to give sufficient interest depending on what you want to see and if you've been before.

I also like that Bob is a bit itinerant, so a night out at Lyness so you can see the museum and walk up to We Fea, or at other random small harbours with a walk to a different and nice pub. It generally feels worth being on a liveaboard then, rather than sleeping on a dayboat effectively when you are back to Stromness every night.
    Rich

Gobbie squaddie, average diver timmyg's Avatar
    Barnstaple or Birmingham depending on the day of the week...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by samkin View Post
    There are also 2 sides to every story and based on what I know about this case I remain very happy to go with H&H. I would however avoid any operation who employed some of their former staff.
    I will not however be sharing what I know in public so please don't ask me to.
    Agree. 2 sides to every story.

On one side Iíve booked 3 trips with them. The boats are fantastic. The food is fab. Theyíre great skippers & really knowledgeable.

On the other side Iíve known 2 of the former employees concerned for 12 & 9 years (& 2 of my booked trips were after said incident so Iím not picking sides). And on my last trip the deckhand left half way through the week & the other 2 werenít happy.

My first trip to Scapa was on the Karin & all 12 of us vowed never to use it again.

So as you can see from this thread everyone has a good & not so good story to say about every boat. Next time I think Iím going to try Huskyan.

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My pages:
    l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm booked on Huskyan for next October. One of my mates has just come back from a trip with them and said it was fantastic. Other friends have said that halton is fantastic too.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm a big fan of the Halton. Never done Scapa on it though. If Bob is up there at the time of the year you want to go, then it should be reasonably high up the list

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My favourite boat is the Jean Elaine, maybe a little bit more rough around the edges than some of the pricier options but you won't find a better dive boat skipper on Orkney.
    +3
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Huskyan , fantastic boat & crew/skipper.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My first trip to Scapa was this May on Valhalla. Really good boat with loads of space; great crew; great briefings; helpful staff; comfy berths; sheltered dive deck... Would be very happy to recommend H&H and use them again.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Another vote for Bob and the Halton. I have dived off Norway and Shetland on the Halton.
    If diving off the Karin one option is to book a house and pay a bit extra. Just saying

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast