Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Pontypridd
    Posts
    47
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Drysuit saga continues - leaky drysuit

    Ok, so heres my update on drysuit;

    Been back to Northern diver twice - Unstitched an area and restitched, pressure test both times, suit is leak free
    Been to dive shop 4 times
    Had neck seal taken in
    Had cuffs taken in

    Experienced diver from my club has tested with soapy water - no leaks.

    Suit still leaks.

    Is it possible the leak is coming from one of the valves? and it wouldn't show on a pressure test? If so how would I test this? Or do I bite the bullet and just pay for a replacement valve just in case.

    Do valves need sealing in or do they just clamp on the rubber?

  2. #2
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    cheltenham
    Posts
    1,723
    Likes (Given)
    88
    Likes (Received)
    167
    May be take some pics of the area it leaks and the chaps and ladies here may be able to help you better?

  3. #3
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Pontypridd
    Posts
    47
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    May be take some pics of the area it leaks and the chaps and ladies here may be able to help you better?
    That's the problem, I don't know where......... the shop owner claims im moving my head too much, but I don't get any water into my neck, I cant feel any cold coming in

    The undersuit soaks up the water and then in spreads all over my body

    Dry from waist down

  4. #4
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    409
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    190
    From your last thread, this seems to be a new suit.

    It's been to the manufacturer twice (who have been doing repairs) and the dive shop 4 times. You still claim it's leaking... It's faulty.

    If it's faulty after they've tried to repair it twice, then any advice other than "get a full refund" is the wrong advice
    Last edited by NWdiver; 18-09-2019 at 08:41 AM.

  5. #5
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    cheltenham
    Posts
    1,723
    Likes (Given)
    88
    Likes (Received)
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Madocks View Post
    That's the problem, I don't know where......... the shop owner claims im moving my head too much, but I don't get any water into my neck, I cant feel any cold coming in

    The undersuit soaks up the water and then in spreads all over my body

    Dry from waist down
    Moving your head too much? That's a new one and sounds totally made up to me.

  6. #6
    Formerly sbc23cam Steve Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Preston, UK
    Posts
    2,592
    Likes (Given)
    242
    Likes (Received)
    1654
    You can try putting on some thin clothes (light coloured t-shirt & tracksuit bottoms etc.). Then wear the drysuit for a couple of minutes in a lake/pond and get out. Ask someone to help you slowly remove the suit trying to avoid getting any of the water from outside on your clothes. You may be able to get an idea of where the source of the leak is from the wet patches.

    Faulty shoulder dumps do occasionally let water through. Wrist seals leak for people with a pronounced tendon in their wrists. Neck seals leak if they have any kind of fold or have been trimmed too much and you put your head forward. Check your seals for splits that are only visible when the latex is stretched. These can be missed on a pressure test depending on how they seal the ends up.

  7. #7
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Pontypridd
    Posts
    47
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    10
    No pronounced tendons and wrists are pretty tight

    Its neoprene, not latex

    Will jump in a pond somewhere and go from there I think

  8. #8
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Isle of Mull
    Posts
    782
    Likes (Given)
    369
    Likes (Received)
    392
    Or the bath. I found faded blue jeans and literally 2 minutes lying in my bath produced a 2 square inch of damp on my leg that really highlighted where the leak was. In your case find a light coloured top. Carefully peel off the suit keeping the waist exactly where it naturally sits and you should be able to see where the problem is. It really should be 100% obvious. A piece of chalk is useful to mark the inside of the suit - you may see a patch of damp there but this often quickly disperses. Use a torch to shine on the exterior fabric and you may find a blemish/scuff that has compromised the suit.

  9. #9
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Pontypridd
    Posts
    47
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tens View Post
    Or the bath. I found faded blue jeans and literally 2 minutes lying in my bath produced a 2 square inch of damp on my leg that really highlighted where the leak was. In your case find a light coloured top. Carefully peel off the suit keeping the waist exactly where it naturally sits and you should be able to see where the problem is. It really should be 100% obvious. A piece of chalk is useful to mark the inside of the suit - you may see a patch of damp there but this often quickly disperses. Use a torch to shine on the exterior fabric and you may find a blemish/scuff that has compromised the suit.
    what about testing the valves ?

  10. #10
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Isle of Mull
    Posts
    782
    Likes (Given)
    369
    Likes (Received)
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by Madocks View Post
    what about testing the valves ?
    If one or both of the valves are leaking, the same technique will show where the water is getting in. At least that gives you an idea where the problem is. I would also recommend connecting a hose and cylinder to the inflate valve and whilst it is underwater giving it a few squirts to see if it is drawing in water. You probably don't need to be in the suit to do this. Just dunk the valve in a bucket of water keeping the inside of the suit uppermost and dry.

    To prove/disprove the "moving your head around too much" idea, a 2 minutes stand under a shower would do it.

    In my experience, it's better to try all this for a minute or 2, and then check, rather than 30 minutes and find you're soaked through. That tells you very little.


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •