Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BcDiver View Post
    Liked the look of the rk3s so bought a pair but found them far too light so they could be good for travel. I use a pair of plana Avanti quattros for travel which I believe are lighter again?

Funny, I have the Apeks and quattros. I actually find the Apeks heavy fins and check sometimes where my feet are because they seem a bit lower compared to when I where my quattros. But that's just my thought!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Funny, I have the Apeks and quattros. I actually find the Apeks heavy fins and check sometimes where my feet are because they seem a bit lower compared to when I where my quattros. But that's just my thought!
    Yeah I found the quattros trimmed me out better than the rk3s even though they were lighter, I put it down to the quattros being slightly longer.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yeah I found the quattros trimmed me out better than the rk3s even though they were lighter, I put it down to the quattros being slightly longer.
    Good point. Do you think may be the weight is distributed better with the Quattro as they are longer?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I recently purchased some Scubapro Go fins weigh a kilo for a pair and worked well enough in currents in the Tiputa pass.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John63 View Post
    it's ony an expense once then you have kit.. Excess baggage would / could be a cost every time you travel
    This. I am just back from Cocos; the excess baggage fees would have been £120 for this journey alone, whilst the careful bag and kit selection meant MrsT and I carried all our stuff in the standard 23kg pp limit. Mine included a steel backplate, 30lb wing, 5mm full wetsuit, DSMB, reel etc etc. Full kit for diving in the open sea plus extras and spares. My travel setup (described elsewhere) has now been on at least 5 such trips with many more to come, so let's just call it several hundred quid saved from the initial investment - value for money IMHO.

Liked the look of the rk3s so bought a pair but found them far too light so they could be good for travel. I use a pair of plana Avanti quattros for travel which I believe are lighter again?
    RK3s are pretty hefty, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Quattros came in lighter. If you're really after light fins, Tusa Impex Tri-exs are significantly lighter still but I think they're discontinued now and their fit is rather narrow in the foot.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Good point. Do you think may be the weight is distributed better with the Quattro as they are longer?
    Aye that's what I was thinking. The quattros are great fins but I was looking something a bit shorter as I was used to force fins for years which are great for moving about and manoeuvring around wrecks but not great if you're swimming against a current. Hence getting the rk3s but just found them too light on oc and marginally too light on ccr.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Aye that's what I was thinking. The quattros are great fins but I was looking something a bit shorter as I was used to force fins for years which are great for moving about and manoeuvring around wrecks but not great if you're swimming against a current. Hence getting the rk3s but just found them too light on oc and marginally too light on ccr.
    The RK3s are significantly heavier than Force Fins.
    I use mine interchangeably with my Hollis F1s; the Hollis are heavier and longer and do trim a bit better when I'm fully teched up with CCR, 2 Ali 80s and camera etc but not so much that it bothers me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by N Bailey View Post
    I recently purchased some Scubapro Go fins weigh a kilo for a pair and worked well enough in currents in the Tiputa pass.
    I bought a pair of the Go Travel fins last year for a Red Sea liveaboard and they were excellent, good enough that I've now bought a pair of the Go Sport fins for Gozo this year so I can wear boots with them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I really like my Hollis F2s for travelling. They don't have quite the thrust of their big brother F1s, but I've been happy using them in the Red Sea and the Maldives. They're superbly manoeuvrable and a size S comparison (with length from back heel of spring strap) is:

F1
    Weight - 3.3kg per pair
    Length - 24 inches

F2
    Weight - 1.65kg per pair
    Length - 21 inches

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    This. I am just back from Cocos; the excess baggage fees would have been £120 for this journey alone, whilst the careful bag and kit selection meant MrsT and I carried all our stuff in the standard 23kg pp limit. Mine included a steel backplate, 30lb wing, 5mm full wetsuit, DSMB, reel etc etc. Full kit for diving in the open sea plus extras and spares. My travel setup (described elsewhere) has now been on at least 5 such trips with many more to come, so let's just call it several hundred quid saved from the initial investment - value for money IMHO.

RK3s are pretty hefty, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Quattros came in lighter. If you're really after light fins, Tusa Impex Tri-exs are significantly lighter still but I think they're discontinued now and their fit is rather narrow in the foot.
    What extras and spares do you take and still come under weight? What bag do you carry all this stuff in please?

How was the diving in Cocos?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast