Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gobbie squaddie, average diver timmyg's Avatar
    Barnstaple or Birmingham depending on the day of the week...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post dive cylinder issues

Hyperthetical question

A few of you did a dive trip. A few months down the line someone who was on the trip drops their cylinder in for a test only to find they need a shot blast. 2 months later the same happens to someone else so we all start checking.

5 people so far all have issues resulting in 4 sets getting shot blasted, one set getting written off after their second visual test at 7.5 years, and one with surface rust but no blast required. Plus some suit bottle issues caused by decanting from said cylinders.

Hyperthetically what would you do? Especially if the written off set and one of the shot blasted sets were yours?

TPG
    My pages:
    l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Would the compressor happen to be on a boat?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's what I was thinking. "Take your regs off to indicate if you want a fill". Sea/rain spray gets in din valve, doesn't get blown out before filling, gets blown in to cylinder in fact. Happened to my cylinders several times.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Could it be dodgy filters on the compressor?
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Gobbie squaddie, average diver timmyg's Avatar
    Barnstaple or Birmingham depending on the day of the week...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    All

Iím aware of what could have caused it. No Iím not posting the operators name.

My question was what would you do about it.

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My pages:
    l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    While there is some anecdotal evidence that the issues are all linked, I think it could be a difficult task to prove that they were all linked to the same compressor.

I would let the compressor owner know of the fact that a lot of cylinders have had issues and advise them that perhaps they may have an issue and that others may have the same issue.

Depending on the owner and the context of the conversation, they may tell you others had reported issues, or they might batton the hatches for fear of liability.

Eitherway, sorry to hear you have a costly experience
    Last edited by Paulo; 15-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As Paulo says, talk to those concerned.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyg View Post
    All

Iím aware of what could have caused it. No Iím not posting the operators name.

My question was what would you do about it.

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unless you have quite a lot of people (and I mean tens if not hundreds) who all feel that the operator is at fault and they're all prepared to sue them then you'll probably not get very far.

I think you have to suck it up and don't use the suspect filler again and maybe tell your friends not to either.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    First off if anybody suspects a contaminated source the correct action is to inform the supplier so that the
    compressor (and gas) can be checked. A lot seems to be made of cylinders failing, but what if it's oil or
    exhaust gas contamination? Can't assume that any failure is in isolation, so while it might just be some
    water now, what if the next time it's a dive boat using contaminated gas?

So IMO (and something i've done myself in the past) is to inform the suspected outfit of the concern to
    get the output from the compressor checked. They should already have an air-purity certifictae displayed
    so they may have done this since the gas was bought, but if it was before the trip it needs to be done again.

As a customer the gas comes under trading standards, but for any working on the compressor (shop
    staff) or dive Instructors working it comes under HSE, so some big sticks around if the outfit doesn't want to
    play.

In my case the output from the source was tested by a 3rd party IDEST effort and I got what remained in
    my cylinder tested by a different IDEST station independently and both tests turned out to be within
    reccomended limits.

This is serious stuff if it goes wrong, so no question that while at this stage no need to make it public as
    the outfit may be totally innocent, but it's not ok just to 'suck it up'. Tell them they may have a problem
    and keep on until you are reassured by a recent copy of an air purity certificate.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    (BTW it’s really useful for the wider community to know of these problems and their possible causes — not everyone is experienced with compressors and procedures)

Related question: how much water in a cylinder could cause rust to form? Traces? Drops? Teaspoonful? Cupful?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast