Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Newby BCD help please

Hi all. I am a newby with only 10 dives under my belt. I firmly believe in owning my own equipment, so I am in the market for a bc. However, I am suffering from bc overload. Please help.

This is what I’m confused with and would like:
    I am 5’7”, 185 lbs, 64 years young.
    I only do warm water diving in the Carribean.
    I live in Georgia, inland, so I don’t have access to a pool to try different gear.
    Looking under the $600 range.

I have been looking at the ScubaPro Go and the cressi travelite, but am open to ideas.

I like the write-ups on the back inflators, but one of the things that brings terror to my research is when I read about “back inflators” that tend to push my face into the water while on the surface. I understand that I shouldn’t totally inflate the back, but those words still scare the #$&*@ out of me. Sometimes the boats down here are not where you surface and you may need to float for 10 minutes or so on the surface. I need my face out of the water!

I only do recreational diving with my wife and a friend. I am OW certified, but going for AOW next month in Dominican Republic.

I have NO CLUE what lift I would need. Last time I went diving, the company put me in an xl size jacket (that wanted to float without me) and 18 lbs weights. It felt uncomfortable but hey, what do I know? I was just happy to be under water.
    I’m sure I’ll have more questions, but would sure like some guidance and direction.

Please help,
    Bob

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    By back inflators, that will be a wing

My advice would be to forget all the singing and dancing versions costing $$$ and just get an entry level
    club/dive store style BC. These are designed to be ripped apart by trainees so rugged enough for warm-water
    + as they tend to be lighter material with less tat attached are as light as the so called travel versions.

Once you've got a bit more experience it's an easy s/hand sale and by then you'll be objective enough to
    get what you know will suit you

https://us.aqualung.com/collections/.../products/wave

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-csbs/cressi-start-bcd

https://ww2.scubapro.com/en-GB/SWE/b...cts/x-one.aspx

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Another thing to note is that quite a few more experienced divers end up moving onto other things. Maybe wing style, or sidemount etc. You might too, but you won't know exactly what to move onto until later when you've done some more dives and made some more choices.

This means that 1) there are quite a few good condition second-hand / used BCDs available to buy and 2) it might be a good choice to save money by buying something used as you might replace it later. (Just a thought).

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    $349 - https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-...e-wing-package

That would do the job nicely. If you were in the UK, I'd recommend you an equally "budget" brand that just does the job in the same way. That will last for ever. Cheap BCDs often break/ wear in places that can't be fixed.

30lb of lift in the wing is the right amount.

If you give up diving down the line, you'll find a wing/backplate much easier to resell.
    Last edited by NWdiver; 13-09-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Very sensible advice from Alex and Tel. Most people who dive wings (back inflators) would never go back to a standard jacket style BCD and the "face in the water" effect comes from people who aren't familiar with them, mine never pushes me forward that I'm aware of but that's because I'm used to balancing myself and compensate subconsciously.

Best thing you can do is ask the dive centre/school you are going out with next time if you can try on and actually dive a couple of their jackets, most centres over here will have a couple of things they are selling on for customers who have upgraded or will be selling older but serviceable stock to keep their school kit looking reasonably shiny. A good diver can dive any BCD or wing he or she can get into and be flat and neutral within a couple of minutes. At the end of te day it's just a bag with wind in it, all you need to do is work out where the wind is and balance yourself accodingly. Generally the simpler a piece of kit is the better it is, the less there is to go wrong.
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Agree with Pete regarding the wing. I find that the wing is actually pretty easy to use. If you treat the harness almost like a seat and bring your legs up a bit it helps with the balance. Also I tend to do my surface waiting relaxing on my back which is great with a wing.

One big plus for BP&W is that once bought you only ever need to replace certain parts when they wear out (such as the webbing and bladder). The majority of the kit will last pretty much forever and hold its value pretty well if you ever want to sell it. With a jacket BCD, you are pretty much screwed and need to replace the lot even if only a small section of webbing etc goes.