Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Suit for Egypt September?

Any suggestions for suit thickness for Egypt in september? 5mm full, 5mm shorty, or 3mm shorty? Dive are usually sub 1hr / 20 mtr. - usual house reef type of stuff.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I did that time of year and I was in a 3mm full suit. I certainly prefer the full suit bearing in mind that there are certain things you really don't want skin contack with such as fire coral and lionfish that even a 3mm suit will give some protection from.

Having said that, there were people on the boat who were in anything from shorts/rash vest to 7mm suit. Not one of them moaned about their choice of suit. Even a 7mm suit (if that is all you have) is doable in that you just need to flush it (with a gup full of cool water on the surface if you are too warm) or by opening the neck underwater and letting some water in.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I'm off there next week, and will be using the same 5mm merino-lined full suit i always have for annual(ish) Red Sea trips since 2003. Though it's probably more like a 3mm after all those years and some added bioprene served me well for late summer and winter trips. However, this may be the last hurrah for the old Mares Icelandic. I'm likely to go Mares again.
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would go for a 3mm then but def a long one as I get stung in the water by all the little stingy things imaginable!!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for this thread, I am off next week to El Gouna and will be taking my 5/4mm Scubapro and hoping it will be OK

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    September depending on how you feel the cold 3mm full or 5mm, the water is 26 atm and cooling fast it has gone from 30/31 down to 26 in the spate of a month, and we expect it to be 22/23 by october and sitting there. hth

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by barnaby_s View Post
    Thanks for this thread, I am off next week to El Gouna and will be taking my 5/4mm Scubapro and hoping it will be OK
    I would think you will be absolutely fine with that choice. Surface temperatures will be fairly high at this time of year - it is the wind that really cools things down but that really only becomes an issue next month. I noticed a large difference between my two trips (one in October and the other in November). Temps were great for the earlier trip (shorts and T for all surface activity even late at night but the wind had a definite chill in it on the later trip to the point that meant a hoodie or trackies were a worthwhile thought if you wanted to stay outside particularly late in the day.

Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I got back from Marsa Alam liveaboard 3 weeks ago and the water was 31 degrees. I took a 3mm shortie and did 2 days in shorts and t shirt. I get mega cold normally and wear a drysuit all year in the UK.
    I get so cold that I refuse to dive at all in the Winter. 3mm will be more than adequate.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you're on a budget have a look at decathlon..... they've got 5.5 mm suits with built in hood for 79.99 and 7.5mm suits with built in hood for 129.99, plus a plethora of other suits. I've always found decathlon wetsuits to be on point tbh.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by smileydiver View Post
    I would go for a 3mm then but def a long one as I get stung in the water by all the little stingy things imaginable!!
    Not that a suit helps when you get stung around the lips out there - lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast