Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: A3 Printer

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A3 Printer

Hi All,

I could do with getting an A3 printer for the office to print electrical drawings and things. I already have an A4 colour laser printer/scanner/copier so not too bothered about another multifunction device unless there isn't much of a price difference. I haven't owned an inkjet printer in years so am not quite sure which is the best for running costs etc. I know that you can now get them with reservoirs, which are very cheap to fill, but at 500 is it really worthwhile?

Any recommendations would be welcome, it doesn't need to be a photo printer, but i would like something that doesn't need new cartridges every week, that make you wince as you buy them.

Thanks, Charlie

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have HP Officejet 7110 wide with duplex unit.

My selection criteria were colour A3, duplex, separate cartridges for each colour, and LAN connection.

It seems to perform as required. My usage isn't huge (current page count 2500) and, despite the usual warnings, I've been using the cheaper 'OfficeWorld' cartridges with no issues and they do last a fair while.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I bought a new Epson XP 960 to replace the Canon Pixma Pro 900 (MK1) that I had. The Canon was an old model, had no windows 10 drivers (which meant that there were a number of glitches when in use) and would have cost 400+ to replace like for like. The Epson cost just under 200, has 6 ink cartidges (as opposed to 8 on the Canon) and the ink is just as cheap as the Canon.

So far I have done a reasonable amount of photo printing on it along with normal use and it appears to be at very very close to the quality of output I could get from the Canon to the point that I would have to study the images very closely to notice a difference.

I personally wouldn't go for a continious ink set up unless you are using a SERIOUS amount of ink.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks, that's very useful. I have ended up ordering an Epson, fingers crossed it will do the trick. The aftermarket inks for it are pretty cheap.

Charlie

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Hi All,

I could do with getting an A3 printer for the office to print electrical drawings and things. I already have an A4 colour laser printer/scanner/copier so not too bothered about another multifunction device unless there isn't much of a price difference. I haven't owned an inkjet printer in years so am not quite sure which is the best for running costs etc. I know that you can now get them with reservoirs, which are very cheap to fill, but at 500 is it really worthwhile?

Any recommendations would be welcome, it doesn't need to be a photo printer, but i would like something that doesn't need new cartridges every week, that make you wince as you buy them.

Thanks, Charlie
    Epson units are your best bet - to be honest there's not a massive difference between models (except paper size). They all give very good quality these days. Epson are some of the cheapest to run and give good quality as they use permanent print heads built into the printer, whereas HP (along with Lexmark and several others) builds disposable print heads in the cartridges, making generic cartridges *much* rarer and more expensive for those brands. Epson generic cartridges are dirt cheap and pretty much ubiquitous. The only downside is if the printer is left standing for a long period of time in a very dusty environment, it can block the heads, which if repeated cleaning cycles don't work is a difficult repair (or a junked printer), whereas in an HP/Lexmark you'd just buy a new set of cartridges. That said, I left mine for almost a year just sitting in the spare room and after 3 or 4 cleaning cycles it sorted itself out and performed just fine - but it's something to be aware of it's only getting occasional use in a workshop environment.
    Exeter - Falmouth University BSAC #2551
    Twitter | Facebook | Instagram