Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyg View Post
    Incorrect. Although I hate to say it, is a pony not a redundant source? A twinset is not for everybody, and why do an ITT course to then do a Solo course?

If I were lugging my kit over Chesel Beach for example for a solo dive, or shore diving off Plymouth I couldn't think of anything more perfect than my 15l and an ali 40.

And from standards:

2019, Pt 3, Pg 101

TPG
    I'm so bad, I've done Chesil solo for the last 12 years on a single 10. I know. I should be dead. But I fully understand that dive operators transporting or hosting me would require a solo qualification and redundant air source. My thoughts are that you need at the very least 200+ dives to dive solo. I started diving on my own when had done 500 -600 and was on my days off from instructing. I continue to find it much more relaxing than watching a buddy for the entire dive. But I only dive solo on shallow dives - nothing over 20m and usually less than 15 metres.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My first solo dive was a reasonably deep shore dive and I felt like a condemned man walking from my car to the entry-point in the dark. However, this feeling of dread was purely because I was telling myself I was crossing some major barrier, whereas the fact is: many of my club 'buddy' dives had effectively been solo. Shoddy buddy practices are notoriously commonplace in some clubs, but also the difficulties of underwater communication, combined with an unwillingness to let your buddy down, can end up with buddy pairs finding themselves in situations which a solo diver would have said 'no thanks' to. After that first dive, I almost immediately started feeling more comfortable on my own than in a buddy pair.

As for the solo diving course, I was initially going to respond with a smart-arsed "you don't need a course - you'll know when you're ready to do it" type reply. But what Wibs describes actually sounds worthwhile. Training courses that expose you to task-loading and force you to deal with failures are the hardest but teach you the most. I've been allowed to dive solo from boats in the UK and abroad, but even if a solo 'ticket' doesn't guarantee you'll be allowed to dive solo, the training would still be worth it. It's counter-intuitive, but diving with a solo mindset makes you a better buddy.

So if a course gets a recommendation from someone who regularly dives solo, I say do it - even if you decide to stick with buddy diving afterwards.

Gobbie squaddie, average diver timmyg's Avatar
    Barnstaple or Birmingham depending on the day of the week...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well, if the forums are to be believed you'll also die if you use a pony, so I think you'll be fine. At least your family won't have to put up with the ridicule of knowing you carried a pony!

*tongue in cheek - no offence meant to anyone reading this*

TPG
    My pages:
    l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi, I did my solo course with PADI at a quarry in Kankakee, Il. I believe it was three dives over a weekend. I had to have a redundant gas source which for me was a 19 ft3 pony. My buddy took it with 120 ft3 back doubles. We had to plan our dives based on gas consumption so we were taught to calculate our SAC (ft3/min). We also had to navigate solo and run a SMB on a reel at 15 ft and do our safety stop. In the States some quarries will let you let you dive solo if you show them the cert and some will not. In north central Florida Blue Grotto spring will let you solo dive but Devil's Den will not. As far as boat dives some charters will let you solo with a cert and if you bring a redundant gas source and some will not. Best thing to do is call the dive site or dive shop offering the charter and ask.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just a quick one, PADIís course is Self Reliant Diver, and not Solo like SDI. Although there are similarities.

From the instructor manual.
    The purpose of the Self-Reliant Diver specialty course is to recognize and accept the role of the buddy system and its contributions to diver safety while identifying and developing self-reliance and independence while diving. There are two reasons for an experienced diver to take the
    Self-Reliant diver course:
    ē To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary.
    ē To sharpen skills of diving self-reliance, making the diver a stronger partner in a dive pair or team

As far as insurance is concerned the SDI Solo course is the only one that will cover you Iím led to believe.

TPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My pages:

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No mention of redundant kit?

It’s a classic PADI speciality.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nope.

This is not the entire kit list from the manual, Iíve just extracted the redundancy bits:

3. Redundant gas source Ė pony cylinder, twin cylinders with isolation valve or sidemount configuration. Redundant gas
    supply must be configured so that the diver can access it with one hand.
    4. Redundant depth gauge and bottom timer, or dive computer.
    5. Redundant surface signaling devices (both visual and audible)
    8. Back-up mask (recommended)

Please check the accuracy of your posts before posting Wibs.

TPG

My pages:

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyg View Post
    Please check the accuracy of your posts before posting Wibs.
    I quoted your post - no mention of redundant kit.

Anyway, the SDI course is actually for Solo Diving, the PADI course is to reinforce your self-reliance but not for solo diving - nor is it accepted anywhere for Solo diving. Hence it's a classic Speciality course; more revenue than use.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I did the SDI Solo Diver course. I lived near Wraysbury and wanted the option of doing drills, and gathering crayfish, without being needing anyone else about so it seemed useful. My previous course was TDI Trimix, with Mark Powell, so I didn't learn any new skills. However, for someone doing recreational diving, there are useful gains and it can be useful.

I did the course with a twinset. As more appropriate equipment for Wraysbury my solo dives there were using single and pony. I gather Capenwray also recognise the course and allow solo divers. At other inland locations the convention of 'joining' a group/pair and spending the whole dive looking for them seems to work
    Quote Originally Posted by purple vonny View Post
    I'm so bad, I've done Chesil solo for the last 12 years on a single 10. I know. I should be dead.
    A 10l isn't adequate you are indeed lucky to be alive!!

A single 10 might work for you but I prefer a 12 for Chesil but I am little larger, and need a bit more air.

I did once dive Chesil on CCR but only because I loaned my OC kit to an equipment-challenged fellow who needed to get a dive in before the end of the year
    But I fully understand that dive operators transporting or hosting me would require a solo qualification and redundant air source.
    I can't comment about overseas but UK boats seem relaxed about who you dive with so long as they see some redundancy. I commonly dive solo on CCR and have never needed to show my Solo Diver cert anywhere.
    My thoughts are that you need at the very least 200+ dives to dive solo. I started diving on my own when had done 500 -600 and was on my days off from instructing.
    The SDI ticket requires 100 although I'd done about 400 when I started diving solo.

In any case an instructor without additional cover is pretty much a solo diver already.
    I continue to find it much more relaxing than watching a buddy for the entire dive. But I only dive solo on shallow dives - nothing over 20m and usually less than 15 metres.
    I completely agree. When solo you do the dive you want choose although I go solo a bit deeper than that

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    I quoted your post - no mention of redundant kit.

Anyway, the SDI course is actually for Solo Diving, the PADI course is to reinforce your self-reliance but not for solo diving - nor is it accepted anywhere for Solo diving. Hence it's a classic Speciality course; more revenue than use.
    Wibs

Again you are jumping to conclusions without any evidence or valid argument.

Firstly I quoted the general outline. Hence no mention of redundant kit.

It can be for for solo diving (and I quote from the manual):
    To develop the skills of planning and carrying out dives without a partner when preferred or necessary.
    This course covers when diving alone may be applicable, and the need to compensate for those situations, including dive planning, life support system readiness, adaptive training, equipment and responsibility.
    This course is an introduction to self-reliant diving that helps student divers develop the skills, knowledge and techniques necessary to rely on themselves first, whether or not they are diving with a partner

You are correct about not accepted (in the UK) but I mentioned that (wrt insurance in my post).

TPG

My pages:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast