X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NWdiver
    TDF Member
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by JonG
    Excuse my ignorance but how do you order these if you are in UK?
    Doesn't look like they'll ship that to the UK

EDIT: just refreshed and suddenly shipping is now available to the UK
    Last edited by NWdiver; 10-09-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Allan Carr
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

I've got one of the Northern Diver Varilux 3500 lumen torches which I've been very pleased with
      Discover the Varilux 3500 Dive Torch – a powerful, rechargeable dive light with adjustable output. Now with a magnetic charging connector! Let's dive into...

The variable output is extremely useful to enable it to be turned down for night dives. In fact, it is so bright that I very rarely use it on full power.

My wife has one of the smaller 1000 lumen Varilux torches which is an excellent torch as well. The dive guides on our Red Sea trip were using these for night dives. They have a more concentrated spot beam than their bigger brother which will illuminate a large area.

Comment

• sim667
        Established TDF Member
        • Jan 2016

So I never did buy a torch, I’ve been struggling on with the pretty weak ones I had and tbh there hasn’t been much diving due to covid.

However I’m due to go on a trip in July and feel I need to get myself a decent torch. Ive bought a new wing that has no pockets, but I do have pockets on my drysuit which are much more useable now.

I need to be able to stash the torch as I’ve also got a GoPro with lights on a tray which I want to be able to use too, but obviously with a torch hanging off and the camera tray with camera and lights I can see a lot of snagging risks, and I can’t see that have a torch in thigh pockets on my drysuit is going to be too comfortable.

has anyone got any suggestsions, and are there any newer recommendations for torches as I realise this thread is a couple of years old now.
        Simscubadives on youtube
        My general photography on youtube

Comment

• Ian@1904
          Team Starburst
          • Dec 2012

Try here and look at the Divepro lights. I bought some video lights in November, the lights are rather good. Supplier service also excellent.

Comment

• thetrickster
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

I have DivePro video lights (G18 Plus) and they are great too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Nowhereman
              TDF Member
              • Sep 2015

In terms of torch stowage you could also consider, if using a backup size torch, the DIR style of clipping to a shoulder D ring and then tucking into a snoopy loop on the shoulder webbing strap. I do this with a little bungee cord tied around the webbing (not being a cyclist getting bicycle inner tubes isn't very workable. Also has the advantage of being able to put them on without rethreading the harness). If you've got a larger canister light a la that Northern Diver posted earlier, an alternative could be having the torch on a quick release lanyard e.g. something like this, and a normal snap bolt clip at the other end. Attach the lanyard to a hip D ring and when not in use clip off on a shoulder d-ring. I've used this with a compact camera and it means it's not dangling down and presenting as much of a snag hazard when I'm not using it. Obviously this is a bit dependent on the relative length of the lanyard, torch and clip to your frame so that it can actually connect from the hip D-ring to the shoulder D-ring at all or isn't drooping down a lot anyway.

If it fits in your dry suit pocket though I'd say you'll be fine to keep it in there. I've dived with pretty full pockets and I can't say it's been very noticeable since they're full external to the suit and so it doesn't impede mobility.

Comment

• Neilwood
                Established TDF Member
                • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Nowhereman
                In terms of torch stowage you could also consider, if using a backup size torch, the DIR style of clipping to a shoulder D ring and then tucking into a snoopy loop on the shoulder webbing strap. I do this with a little bungee cord tied around the webbing (not being a cyclist getting bicycle inner tubes isn't very workable. Also has the advantage of being able to put them on without rethreading the harness). If you've got a larger canister light a la that Northern Diver posted earlier, an alternative could be having the torch on a quick release lanyard e.g. something like this, and a normal snap bolt clip at the other end. Attach the lanyard to a hip D ring and when not in use clip off on a shoulder d-ring. I've used this with a compact camera and it means it's not dangling down and presenting as much of a snag hazard when I'm not using it. Obviously this is a bit dependent on the relative length of the lanyard, torch and clip to your frame so that it can actually connect from the hip D-ring to the shoulder D-ring at all or isn't drooping down a lot anyway.

If it fits in your dry suit pocket though I'd say you'll be fine to keep it in there. I've dived with pretty full pockets and I can't say it's been very noticeable since they're full external to the suit and so it doesn't impede mobility.
                This is how I do it - I dive with two (relatively) small torches and clip them both off with a snoopy loop to keep it tidy (one on each side). Takes 5-10 secs to deploy and restow (with a bit of practise it can be done without looking) and completely out of the way when not in use. I also used the same method for a 3 D cell torch (before the seal became too dodgy to rely on underwater). For the cost of a bolt snap per torch (single ended) and one inner tube it is pretty cheap (one cheap MTB tyre will give you every loop you can ever want). That leaves plenty of room to clip of other items (unless diving with multiple stages/deco bottles where you are probably looking at a can light anyway).

Comment

• M-J-J
                  TDF Member
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by sim667
                  So I never did buy a torch, I’ve been struggling on with the pretty weak ones I had and tbh there hasn’t been much diving due to covid.

However I’m due to go on a trip in July and feel I need to get myself a decent torch. Ive bought a new wing that has no pockets, but I do have pockets on my drysuit which are much more useable now.

I need to be able to stash the torch as I’ve also got a GoPro with lights on a tray which I want to be able to use too, but obviously with a torch hanging off and the camera tray with camera and lights I can see a lot of snagging risks, and I can’t see that have a torch in thigh pockets on my drysuit is going to be too comfortable.

has anyone got any suggestions, and are there any newer recommendations for torches as I realise this thread is a couple of years old now.
                  If you want to test of the Chinese ones I have a couple of versions you could borrow for a few weeks? An 8k lumen and a 50k lumen version, they have a wider beam than is the norm in the UK but have only had issues with backscatter on two occasions.

Comment

• sim667
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Jan 2016

I actually have been for a dive today and been stowing my torch in my drysuit pocket, which really suited me, so I’m going to stick with that.
                    Simscubadives on youtube

Comment

• sim667
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by M-J-J
                      If you want to test of the Chinese ones I have a couple of versions you could borrow for a few weeks? An 8k lumen and a 50k lumen version, they have a wider beam than is the norm in the UK but have only had issues with backscatter on two occasions.
                      thanks for the offer but really I just need to get on and buy something which I know is reasonably priced and reliable.

what brands are they, just out of interest?
                      Simscubadives on youtube

Comment

• sim667
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Jan 2016

I’m looking at the light for me 2xml for £79, it’s got two heads that work independently (so redundancy in the same unit) and it’s on a goodmans handle which I kind of like the idea of as it leaves me still able to do things with my fingers.

only thing that worries me is I do dive with a tray and GoPro with lights, and if I can’t fit the 2 xml in a pocket, I’ve got a dangly torch whilst it’s stowed.

I’m trying to work out what version of the tektite expedition I’ve got, someone in my club sold it to me second hand, I’ve always been quite underwhelmed by it, but have also just clocked it probably needs some new batteries. I’m not sure whether it’s worth trying a newer tektite, as it does look as though the LFM 2xml and the 4XPG only have about an hour burn time, which is underwhelming too.

the orca torch D710 is also on my radar, but I’ve seen a review that said it was a backup light, rather than a main light, and I’m kind of struggling with what they mean? It’s a bit more pricey than the others, but rechargeable out the box, very bright (with options to turn it down), and seems to be regarded as a solid reliable brand.
                        Last edited by sim667; 29-03-2021, 09:03 PM.
                        Simscubadives on youtube

Comment

• cathal
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Jan 2013

Just wondering how are people finding Finnsub handheld torches, are they any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• OrangeHead
                            TDF Member
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by cathal
                            Finnsub handheld torches
                            I've been using one for several years, mostly with their goodman handle, and I'm very happy with it. Mrs partnerbuddy has been using the umbilical equivalent which works very well too.

Comment

• Titanic
                              TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

I used a Tektike Expedition for several years and upgraded it to the brighter LED unit they produced (which was available separately).

I changed a year or so ago to a Hollis LED 6 because a couple of my buddies were using them and they were so obviously a lot brighter.
                              Still using that one.
                              You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

• sim667
                                Established TDF Member
                                • Jan 2016

Torch turned up finally, it looks brighter than the sun, but I’ve yet to try it in the water
                                Simscubadives on youtube

Comment

Working...