Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone done a C1 driving test?

I've been offered a new job but told I have to get my C1 license in the next 5 weeks, so obviously I'm panicking getting it done, medical today, hopefully I'll pass so I can send of for provisional this afternoon and hope that the DVLA don't take 3 weeks, then get my theory done ASAP and beg a local HGV training company to try their hardest to get through the C1.....But is the test itself overly complex?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    C1 is handy enough. I never drove a C1 truck without a trailer til after I had my test done. It takes a small bit of getting used to the wider vehicle and the longer turning circle but there is nothing difficult.

Good luck with it
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks.If I've driven long wheel base sprinters and lutons, I should be good yeah?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would have thought that a C is the way to go rather than C1 - you might as well do the C. In terms of driving there isn't much to choose. I've never heard of anyone doing C1 - if you are an old fart like me you have it automatically and commercial drivers want C as you get more money to drive a C.

There will be a lot of one week C courses. The only difference is the weight you can carry. A 7.5 tonne is about the same size. You still need a Q card to drive a C1 for hire or reward so the expense is much the same. Some places include the Q card in the price and the weeks' course.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    I would have thought that a C is the way to go rather than C1 - you might as well do the C. In terms of driving there isn't much to choose. I've never heard of anyone doing C1 - if you are an old fart like me you have it automatically and commercial drivers want C as you get more money to drive a C.There will be a lot of one week C courses. The only difference is the weight you can carry. A 7.5 tonne is about the same size. You still need a Q card to drive a C1 for hire or reward so the expense is much the same. Some places include the Q card in the price and the weeks' course.
    I've got a month to get the license and they are asking for C1, so I'm going the path of least resistance. The job isn't commercial driving.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
    I've got a month to get the license and they are asking for C1, so I'm going the path of least resistance. The job isn't commercial driving.
    Fair enough. It will be about 600 quid versus a grand for C judging by what prices are round here. If you need to drive C1 as part of your job it is commercial driving and you need a CPC so another 200-500 depending on where/what/which. You need a tacho card - DVLA £39 unless it a very old truck or non-tacho vehicle. You will need the tacho card for the school truck.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Fair enough. It will be about 600 quid versus a grand for C judging by what prices are round here. If you need to drive C1 as part of your job it is commercial driving and you need a CPC so another 200-500 depending on where/what/which. You need a tacho card - DVLA £39 unless it a very old truck or non-tacho vehicle. You will need the tacho card for the school truck.
    The job is CPC exempt, also no need for a tacho card either, again..... exempt.Anyways I've found a place that can do it, he's booked my in for my theory and I need to let him know as soo as my licesne is back so he can name the booking and he can do the training and book a test the same week.It looks like I'll be doing the test on the day i need to let the new employer know, so its to the wire. Gonna be a big gamble, if I fail I'll be jobless

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So there is an advantage to being an oldie like me. My license seems to cover everything from chariots (2 and 4 horse) up to 7.5 tonnes with trailer, but not HGV.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I work for the ambulance service, and our vehicles are C1. We put a lot of people through C1 training rather than C, there's no need to make the test any harder than it needs, and there are now a good few providers who will put you through a C1 on a long wheelbase high top van to meet this market. If you've driven this type of vehicle before and are used to it, a look around for those may be the easiest way to get through.
    Rich

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
    The job is CPC exempt, also no need for a tacho card either, again..... exempt.Anyways I've found a place that can do it, he's booked my in for my theory and I need to let him know as soo as my licesne is back so he can name the booking and he can do the training and book a test the same week.It looks like I'll be doing the test on the day i need to let the new employer know, so its to the wire. Gonna be a big gamble, if I fail I'll be jobless
    If your getting paid to drive then its commercial. We make sure all our mechanics have the appropriate licence (and CPC) before letting them out on the road with a vehicle. Its easier than the hassle convincing the authorities that their exempt. Even if your carrying your own company’s goods you fall under ‘O’ Licence and Drivers’ Hours.