Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sat nav

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    The problem occurs when the unit is plugged into my car, my campervan, my PC, all three 3 pin/USB converters that I own and a separate power pack, so I do not think it is a power problem.
    As for telephone apps, I have stated that I do not pay for large amounts of data usage and I am sure I need this to run Waze etc.
    If your sat nav was previously functioning normally in the same vehicles with the same power supplies then I agree - the problem probably isn't the power supply. In that case, something else has changed and the most likely culprit is the sat nav's battery - lasting only 30 minutes means it's well and truly worn-out. I'm an electronics-illiterate, so hopefully someone else on here can comment on whether a duff battery could result in the phone 'seeing' an inadequate power supply when plugged-in? If so, that would trigger the power-saving mode, and that's your problem. By they way - if you want to read up on this for yourself, I got my information from TomTom technical help on >this< webpage.

However - look at the costs/benefits of your options:
    • Cost of getting a new phone, which will not only solve your sat nav problems but will replace your current glitchy old model, with the best swiss-army knife you can possibly own: 55 (See >here<.)

• Cost of replacing your sat nav battery (which may, or may not, fix your problem. Plus you'll have to fit it.): Around 20. See >here<, although I couldn't find one for your model.)

• Cost of a new sat nav: 60. (The cheapest in Argos.)

• There are plenty of cheap phone contracts with data. For 6, GiffGaff gives you 300 mins talk, 500 texts and 500MB data - which is more than I ever use in a month of heavy use, including sat nav. You would keep your current number.

• As mentioned above, you don't necessarily need data to run a phone sat nav - there are plenty of free off-line versions. (I use one called 'HERE we go', which was previously known as Nokia Maps.)

I will now shut up on the matter - I can imagine this thread is making you feel the same as I do when the internet tells me I must throw my indies away and buy a manifolded twinset or a rebreather...
    Last edited by PlymouthD; 07-09-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthD View Post
    If your sat nav was previously functioning normally in the same vehicles with the same power supplies then I agree - the problem probably isn't the power supply. In that case, something else has changed and the most likely culprit is the sat nav's battery - lasting only 30 minutes means it's well and truly worn-out. I'm an electronics-illiterate, so hopefully someone else on here can comment on whether a duff battery could result in the phone 'seeing' an inadequate power supply when plugged-in? If so, that would trigger the power-saving mode, and that's your problem. By they way - if you want to read up on this for yourself, I got my information from TomTom technical help on >this< webpage.

However - look at the costs/benefits of your options:
    • Cost of getting a new phone, which will not only solve your sat nav problems but will replace your current glitchy old model, with the best swiss-army knife you can possibly own: 55 (See >here<.)

• Cost of replacing your sat nav battery (which may, or may not, fix your problem. Plus you'll have to fit it.): Around 20. See >here<, although I couldn't find one for your model.)

• Cost of a new sat nav: 60. (The cheapest in Argos.)

• There are plenty of cheap phone contracts with data. For 6, GiffGaff gives you 300 mins talk, 500 texts and 500MB data - which is more than I ever use in a month of heavy use, including sat nav. You would keep your current number.

• As mentioned above, you don't necessarily need data to run a phone sat nav - there are plenty of free off-line versions. (I use one called 'HERE we go', which was previously known as Nokia Maps.)

I will now shut up on the matter - I can imagine this thread is making you feel the same as I do when the internet tells me I must throw my indies away and buy a manifolded twinset or a rebreather...
    My sat nav is not worth spending money on, it is getting to the stage where updates won't work.
    I was thinking of a new one that will allow me to programme in height and speed restrictions due to my campervan being a high top trannie and registered as a light goods vehicle.
    I have no wish to upgrade my phone. Although I am not adverse to technology, I am an oldie who uses a phone for calls and text, a sat nav for satnavving, a PC for computer work and a camera for taking pictures.
    A re-breather though.... that's a thought....
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Steelmonkey, do you realise how old you are sounding? I'm truly amazed you are trying to use a satnav at all, your resistance to new technology is so impressive I suggest you go and buy one of those things made from paper...
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bullen View Post
    Steelmonkey, do you realise how old you are sounding? I'm truly amazed you are trying to use a satnav at all, your resistance to new technology is so impressive I suggest you go and buy one of those things made from paper...
    I will have you know that in the last 2 months I have bought at least three OS maps. I would not walk anywhere without one. When I go away for a weekend I actually sit in the pub the first evening reading a map, finding interesting things and mapping routes.
    I must go now, my abacus needs cleaning and I need to put a new edge on some of my flint knives.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I only use maps
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    The facilities with TomTom Go are far superior to those of the SatNav
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    In what way ? Curious ....
    I was going to ask the same for the same reason.

Anyway if I was steelemonkey I would invest in a new phone, maybe one without a wind up handle on the side.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I was going to ask the same for the same reason.

Anyway if I was steelemonkey I would invest in a new phone, maybe one without a wind up handle on the side.
    It hasn't got a wind up handle

"...are we human, or are we diver?"

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I have stuck with TomTom for some years simply because I have got used to the way they work. Perhaps I will look at the Garmin range now that someone has recommended them.
    Especially someone who understands that I do not want to/cannot use my phone.
    You stick to your guns, mate.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy ? on Three's 3/2/1 PAYG tariff and plenty of wifi connection through our BT Broadband package. I see no reason to upgrade to anything more expensive and I spend as much time on t'internet as everyone else in my family who all pay much more than me for their monthly allowances (which they lose if they don't use it??). Even BT accept defeat when they ring me occasionally trying to get me to add a sim card or phone to the BB package and I tell them what I'm on.

With what I've saved I can get a nice new proper sat-nav I can switch from van to car.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    You stick to your guns, mate.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy ? on Three's 3/2/1 PAYG tariff and plenty of wifi connection through our BT Broadband package. I see no reason to upgrade to anything more expensive and I spend as much time on t'internet as everyone else in my family who all pay much more than me for their monthly allowances (which they lose if they don't use it??). Even BT accept defeat when they ring me occasionally trying to get me to add a sim card or phone to the BB package and I tell them what I'm on.

With what I've saved I can get a nice new proper sat-nav I can switch from van to car.
    Spoken like a real person who understands that there is the right tool for the job. Let's see one of these "techie" people deal with something that really needs a billhook!
    Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Let's see one of these "techie" people deal with something that really needs a billhook!
    I can think of something that does.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast