Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sat nav

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sat nav

I have Tom Tom Smart 43. The battery only lasts 20-30 mins so I have to keep it plugged into the power socket. The problem is that, when it is plugged in, the screen brightness dims. Any ideas?
    TIA.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have just replaced my Via Live and it also had "battery" issues. The battery would sometimes be charging and sometimes not - I put it down to a faulty connection on the USB cable, but it was as annoying as your unit.

I have bought a Go Premium to replace it and this morning it switched itself off with a flat battery even though plugged in.

I am beginning to think that the TomTom units have a battery charging issue in the software. The twattish pile of junk had just rerouted me due to heavy traffic then switched off about 5k from where I was going. Fortunately I knew where I was and how to get to the drop. When I restarted the van the unit lit up and worked OK. The dashcam is OK so there is power at the USB port.

Technology is shit.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've had problems with my TomTom Go 6100 not charging. It went back for repair under warranty but it came ack not much better. Now if it goes completely flat, it needs to be charged for anything up to 48 hours before it will switch on again.

We've bought a Go Premium to come away with us because we can't rely on it. Since we are hiring cars in 3 countries, we needed the included worldwide maps. I was hoping that this would be more reliable but Chrisch's comment have got me worrying.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I thought sat nav's were dying out due to being installed in the vast majority of new vehicles as standard and even if we don't drive one of the newer all singing and dancing motors most of us have smartphones which makes Google Maps accessible. (no doubt other apps are available)

Or is there something on a TomTom that others have not got?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We just use the phone - Google maps if we have data to spare and Navmii if we don't. Navmii is also good in Scotland where there is no coverage of any kind anyway.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The facilities with TomTom Go are far superior to those of the SatNav built into our top of the range Alhambra and those of Google maps.

We also take it with us when we travel and have used it in Chile, Cyprus, Denmark, Argentina, USA, Iceland (where we are now) and in Canada in a few weeks time.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is an interesting (to me anyway) programme on radio 4 this week - Inside Science where they interviewed two of the four people that developed GPS. Here is a link to the programme
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    The facilities with TomTom Go are far superior to those of the SatNav built into our top of the range Alhambra and those of Google maps.
    In what way ? Curious ....

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I thought sat nav's were dying out due to being installed in the vast majority of new vehicles as standard and even if we don't drive one of the newer all singing and dancing motors most of us have smartphones which makes Google Maps accessible. (no doubt other apps are available)

Or is there something on a TomTom that others have not got?
    I drive old vehicles, I can use a portable in both my car and campervan without having to programme two, I also often use my current TomTom in the works pool car because it an all singing new job but the built in sat nav is rubbish.
    I don't have and don't want the latest model smart phone. I pay less than 6 a month for my phone package and therefore do not have available data to run apps. It is cheaper in the long run to buy a satnav.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Recycle it and download CoPilot on your phone. Works well and the phone can still charge when it is in use, so battery drain is not too bad.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast