Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a rant

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I need a rant

Some barsteward cloned my car's number plate. Since the I have had a parking ticket with photographic evidence which showed a box type van not a 2 seat sports car.

This was followed up by a ticket from Met police as said cloned plates went through a speed camera. I happened to be on holiday and out of the country Still waiting the outcome on that one.

Then the fecking barstewards bu88ered of to France and played with three lots of speed cameras so got 3 speed tickets. Sent lots of paper work, photo's, crime reference numbers covering letter and proof I was not in France on the dates concerned all by signed for post. Heard nothing until today went x3 375 fines demands arrived. I now have no idea what to do as I am not fluent in French by any means.(

I could just cry but instead I am going to have a very very large glass of wine and am putting a back up bottle in the fridge.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    Some barsteward cloned my car's number plate. Since the I have had a parking ticket with photographic evidence which showed a box type van not a 2 seat sports car.

This was followed up by a ticket from Met police as said cloned plates went through a speed camera. I happened to be on holiday and out of the country Still waiting the outcome on that one.

Then the fecking barstewards bu88ered of to France and played with three lots of speed cameras so got 3 speed tickets. Sent lots of paper work, photo's, crime reference numbers covering letter and proof I was not in France on the dates concerned all by signed for post. Heard nothing until today went x3 375 fines demands arrived. I now have no idea what to do as I am not fluent in French by any means.(

I could just cry but instead I am going to have a very very large glass of wine and am putting a back up bottle in the fridge.
    Buy a cheap private plate to replace cloned plate - you can probably get one for 150 direct from DVLA.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Ignore the French fines. They are unlikely to chase you for them IMHO but I am neither French nor a legal eagle so I am just guessing
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That sucks, but at least they haven't put them on a matching car - that would be more of a pain to prove it's not you.

Have you reported the cloning to your local police? They should advise how to deal with any UK tickets, hopefully flagging it "to be pulled over if picked up on ANPR".

I'd say don't ignore the french tickets - they may well chase them. I don't know about the french police, but the dutch speeding ticket I got was well explained in english about how to appeal. I'd have thought that sending a picture of your car and a copy of the DVLA registration page should be enough to demonstrate it's not you.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If their evidence shows a van where the DVLA shows that the registration is registered against a car that should be a pretty open and shut case, yes it has the same registration plate as your car but no, it’s not your car.

I’m no expert though

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2cool View Post
    If their evidence shows a van where the DVLA shows that the registration is registered against a car that should be a pretty open and shut case, yes it has the same registration plate as your car but no, it’s not your car.

I’m no expert though
    I thought the UK police were supposed to check the make/ model before issuing a ticket, to avoid just this issue. Maybe they decided that the machines wereso good at reading plates they must be infallible.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    I'd say don't ignore the french tickets - they may well chase them. I don't know about the french police, but the dutch speeding ticket I got was well explained in english about how to appeal. I'd have thought that sending a picture of your car and a copy of the DVLA registration page should be enough to demonstrate it's not you.
    Agreed. A photo of the car and a photocopy of the V5 ("carte gris" in French BTW) is a really good place to start. At present the communications are computer driven you need to get a human to look at it. The French civil service are pretty good at email these days and somewhere on the notice there should be an address to email. I have no bother with the TV licence which they send me a demand for every four years and every four years I email back I don't have a telly. I paid my speeding fine, but then it really was me

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    I thought the UK police were supposed to check the make/ model before issuing a ticket, to avoid just this issue. Maybe they decided that the machines wereso good at reading plates they must be infallible.
    The machines are that good. However the AI to check the make/model/colour doesn't exist. If you want to generate revenue then using a human to check such things wouldn't be the way to go would it?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    PS have you reported this to DVLA? Sometimes they issue you a new number to stop the problem and catch the baddies.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post

Happy to help you translating French to English or English to French.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast