Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man holes and their covers.

I have had a partially blocked kitchen drain for quite a while and, at last, cleared the pallet piled up with wood that was over the manhole cover closest to the blocked drain (kitchen outflow/gutter downpipe). I had thought that the blockage was up near the kitchen outside U-bend and was intending to try to water jet up from the other side of the blockage.

The manhole cover was corroded to the frame and took some time to free up. When I was able to remove it I was somewhat surprised to find a sheet of plastic 'board' in the cistern and it must have been there since ??????? When I say "board" it is more akin to 'floor' in the bottom of a collapsible dive/sports bag.

Anyway, it was pretty gross because it was slowing the inlet from the kitchen/gutter pipe into the cistern and I assume that it's braking effect on the waste flow was sufficient to aid the build up of a fairly long fat-plug. Also, toilet inlet is in that cistern so I didn't stop to measure it as I removed it (whilst wishing I had longer arms and a clean glove to pinch my nose/it's a wonder I wasn't sick) - it was originally oblong (maybe 1' * 2') but had curled into a tube shape.

I wondered if it was supposed to be some sort of inner cover to prevent unpleasant odours wafting up but it didn't seem to be the right size.

I suppose it might have been put in there to stop pug getting into the drains when building works were going on and forgotten about?

Anyway, I was curious to know if it was a proper part of the cistern/manhole cover setup or a mystery?
    Last edited by Finless; 20-08-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Also, can anybody tell why, when you have icky gloves on, your face gets covered in places that need a scratch?
    Last edited by Finless; 20-08-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It will probably be a sheet of plastic packing (korex / antinox). Looks like plastic corrugated cardboard. Used for packaging of paving flags etc.

Whoever was working on the manhole cover/frame may have cut it to size put it in the base of the manhole to stop mortar/debris/sand ending up in the channel of the drain whilst they were pointing it up. They have never bothered to remove it.

Bin it.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I can't think why there would be a plastic 'board' in a manhole. The covers are usually made of either cast iron, galvanised steel or plastic (depending on size and loading).

You might be right that someone left it in there as something 'temporary' and forgotten about.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finless View Post
    Also, can anybody tell why, when you have icky gloves on, your face gets covered in places that need a scratch?
    Also, did your phone ring whilst you were gloved up - about 15 seconds after you put your hand into the "liquid".
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Definately should not be any sort of board in an inpection chamber (not PC to call them manholes anymore don'tcha know). Sounds like lazy or forgetful builders.

There should be no additional need to seal the chamber from smells as the cover should do that job. If it is not due to corrosion, it should be replaced.

One tip I was given years ago for working with drains - have some Vic vaporub and apply it liberally to the top lip - you then smell that instead of the crap. It does work. Even without it, you will find that you get used to it in about 15 minutes. After that you will probably not smell it.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    Definately should not be any sort of board in an inpection chamber (not PC to call them manholes anymore don'tcha know). Sounds like lazy or forgetful builders.

There should be no additional need to seal the chamber from smells as the cover should do that job. If it is not due to corrosion, it should be replaced.

One tip I was given years ago for working with drains - have some Vic vaporub and apply it liberally to the top lip - you then smell that instead of the crap. It does work. Even without it, you will find that you get used to it in about 15 minutes. After that you will probably not smell it.
    You "get used to it" because the Hydrogen sulphide destroys the tissue in your nose!
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You should experience monkey poo that's been in a warm sample pot in the post for 3 days - nothing would stop that getting through! The long dead monitor lizard was a close second though...
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    You should experience monkey poo that's been in a warm sample pot in the post for 3 days - nothing would stop that getting through! The long dead monitor lizard was a close second though...
    Some questions are best left un-asked......
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    You "get used to it" because the Hydrogen sulphide destroys the tissue in your nose!
    You are an odd fellow, most would stick with cocaine.....
    “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
    Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast