Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    I don't like the idea that it is not open-source. The corporation control the word database and will ultimately be profiting from it. Charging emergency services for accessing it etc.

OSGB or WGS84 are open source, standard and just work. Combined with SARLOC, you don't actually need to access or read the coordinates. Your phone just does it when you click the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    Agreed - I can only see this getting milked for all it is worth in the future. Keep it cheap until there is a significant groundswell of usage and then monetise it.
    Are people and companies not allowed to make a profit on work they do?
    Why are they milking it or profiteering?

I do wonder sometimes when people cry foul at every new development or simple advancement of a technology when it is monetised.

If they get greedy and start charging unfair prices then the market will eventually find the correct worth and balance it out.
    Why should it be free? I'd ask you if you developed an app that could be useful world wide if you would not want to make a bit
    of money from it, especially if you are paying wages to people to develop it?

taz

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    Are people and companies not allowed to make a profit on work they do?
    Why are they milking it or profiteering?

I do wonder sometimes when people cry foul at every new development or simple advancement of a technology when it is monetised.

If they get greedy and start charging unfair prices then the market will eventually find the correct worth and balance it out.
    Why should it be free? I'd ask you if you developed an app that could be useful world wide if you would not want to make a bit
    of money from it, especially if you are paying wages to people to develop it?
    Your faith in the market might be a bit misplaced! For-profit companies exist to make a profit, nothing more. The rest is PR. Just look at history. Apple used to whine about Microsoft dominating the PC market with it's "our way or the highway" platform and look what happened when they finally made a product to compete with it - they did exactly the same thing, making their product just as closed. Today, the licence fee might be some kind of nominal token amount. Once huge numbers of people are using it, will that still be true or will they use their monopoly to hike the prices and cash in? Then "the market" will have to create a new system but with a massive monopoly to try to compete with. What new selling point can they bring in to make their brand new, untried system so much better than the existing one? What will probably happen is that people will give up and pay out. Meanwhile, there's still money that can be made from open source products but without locking it down so that no others can use it.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What niggles (at least for the 999 scenario) is that BT, together with the Blue Light operators developed a system four years ago called AML (Advanced Mobile Location) that does all of this without the App and without any user action: -
    * Dial 999 (or 112)
    * Voice call connects to BT
    * (while call in progress, phone checks battery and if enough not to risk voice call, turn on GPS and WiFI)
    * Wait 20 seconds (tuned after 1,000's of triels)
    * Send a silent text to 999 with the users latitude / longitude
    * BT (who handle 999 calls in the UK) tie the SMS text back to the voice call, even if the call is still in progress
    * Blue Light call handler now has the victim location to within 6m and can direct police car / ambulance / whatever

It's not perfect - but the biggest issue is one or two Blue Light Services who won't use it - if you chase up most of the open source reports pushing W3W they start at Sam Shepard of Avon and Somerset or Nick Lyall of Bedford Police.

No user interaction required - simply dial 999 and get on with it.

Now baked into the Apple and Android core - 23 other countries have taken it on board.
    Last edited by 1st Ade; 23-08-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Who lives here?

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We live in an old barn in a surface water flood-zone (millrace in a culvert).

Our 3 words are : gallons, rainwater, xxxx

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Who lives here?

B
    Allah?
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They seem.to be watching me..... I'm in the alps on a bike trip. My bedroom is "cycling.xxx.hysteric"

I camped on a dive trip at stop.wreck.direction
    Last edited by UnCheeky Monkey; 26-08-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Your faith in the market might be a bit misplaced! For-profit companies exist to make a profit, nothing more. The rest is PR. Just look at history. Apple used to whine about Microsoft dominating the PC market with it's "our way or the highway" platform and look what happened when they finally made a product to compete with it - they did exactly the same thing, making their product just as closed. Today, the licence fee might be some kind of nominal token amount. Once huge numbers of people are using it, will that still be true or will they use their monopoly to hike the prices and cash in? Then "the market" will have to create a new system but with a massive monopoly to try to compete with. What new selling point can they bring in to make their brand new, untried system so much better than the existing one? What will probably happen is that people will give up and pay out. Meanwhile, there's still money that can be made from open source products but without locking it down so that no others can use it.
    This is exactly what I am worried about. I have no problem with companies making reasonable profits but with a lot of these things, they get to a point of getting too big and monopolising the situation or there are so many different competing versions from other companies that it completely dilutes the worth of the system.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123