Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What3words location App

I think this may be useful in sharing/finding shore dives or in contacting suitably-equipped emergency services if needed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47705912

https://what3words.com/

Not sure I'd use it at sea.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't like the idea that it is not open-source. The corporation control the word database and will ultimately be profiting from it. Charging emergency services for accessing it etc.

OSGB or WGS84 are open source, standard and just work. Combined with SARLOC, you don't actually need to access or read the coordinates. Your phone just does it when you click the link.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's very useful on land. It's main use is in regions where there are no street names and numbers. For example, see the TED talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4ZBzM3L6ws where he shows a map of a South Africa township compared with an aerial photo.

The Isle of Mull was involved quite early on as, like many rural areas, we tend to have isolated houses scattered along un-named tracks. And many houses have gaelic names!! The Community First Responders use it as do some doctors. Other emergency services on the island are aware but it will take time for it to be adopted.

We have a look-up app that gives us the 3 word address for every house name which means I can locate it on a map within less than 30 seconds.

Every house on the island has had delivered a small wooded plaque with its 3 word address (mine is using.composts.tuned), common words so easy to remember. When you do a search for the 3 word address, there is some error trapping in there so it will tend to suggest a location close to you if it's been mis-spelled. Similar addresses are intentionally thousands of miles apart to prevent confusion. Lat and long are fine at sea with experienced people, but not really precise enough on land, and hugely subject to errors when being passed over a phone.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    I don't like the idea that it is not open-source. The corporation control the word database and will ultimately be profiting from it. Charging emergency services for accessing it etc.

OSGB or WGS84 are open source, standard and just work. Combined with SARLOC, you don't actually need to access or read the coordinates. Your phone just does it when you click the link.
    Agreed - I can only see this getting milked for all it is worth in the future. Keep it cheap until there is a significant groundswell of usage and then monetise it.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I know a few ambulance services are looking at it, I believe Yorkshire has, and here in London we are reviewing it also. Much as we have lots of street signs in most places, it is quite easy for people to be middle of a street with no intersections and not want to walk away to search for the names. It also covers off parks and riverside, especially when tourists are involved and not clear which entry or exit is the best access to them. This gets around all that.
    ///slug.dizzy.pools is my desk. :-)

Rich

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bunny punctuate spoons - I like that.
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    It's already being done. Minus the ads. Anyone called an Uber?

https://blog.geolytix.net/2019/08/05...-us-get-there/
    Last edited by BenL; 21-08-2019 at 12:15 AM.
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Its very good for obscure or difficult to describe entry locations for dive sites rather than 'go to this post code, drive along a bit past the third track on your left, you'll see a little cottage etc. etc.'

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ah, but how many new Scottish dive sites have you found trying to follow the instructions?
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    Ah, but how many new Scottish dive sites have you found trying to follow the instructions?
    I was thinking more of entry points for caves and mines tbh!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast