Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Wasps.

  1. #1
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Too far from the sea!
    Posts
    9,090
    Likes (Given)
    2512
    Likes (Received)
    5319

    Wasps.

    I have just been "pruning" some willow in my garden. I use " " because anything in my garden is always more akin to logging than pruning.
    The willows are covered with giant willow aphids again and their leavings are attracting a myriad of sugar loving critters, including hundreds of wasps. When I say hundreds, I am not exaggerating. (Caz, look away now, find something else to occupy you.)
    Despite me hacking at the willow with shears, secateurs, machete and a hedge trimmer, and despite having wasps crawling all over me, (I did warn you Caz.) I did not get stung once.
    So, is it because I am not near their nest? Is it because the willow sap, passed through an aphid, acts a a soporific? Or is it, as I strongly suspect, that wasps are kind gentle, badly maligned creatures?
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

  2. #2
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Glossop
    Posts
    829
    Likes (Given)
    287
    Likes (Received)
    231
    Probably because not near the nest, we have one in the front garden, last week I got stung around 10 times just for putting my ladders up near the nest entrance.

  3. #3
    Hail the Children of LLyr
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Posts
    3,051
    Likes (Given)
    1044
    Likes (Received)
    1305
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I have just been "pruning" some willow in my garden. I use " " because anything in my garden is always more akin to logging than pruning.
    The willows are covered with giant willow aphids again and their leavings are attracting a myriad of sugar loving critters, including hundreds of wasps. When I say hundreds, I am not exaggerating. (Caz, look away now, find something else to occupy you.)
    Despite me hacking at the willow with shears, secateurs, machete and a hedge trimmer, and despite having wasps crawling all over me, (I did warn you Caz.) I did not get stung once.
    So, is it because I am not near their nest? Is it because the willow sap, passed through an aphid, acts a a soporific? Or is it, as I strongly suspect, that wasps are kind gentle, badly maligned creatures?
    A combination of all of the above, I'd say. You obviously aren't a threat to the nest. It must be far away.
    If they've fixed on feeding and have something sweet to hand, you're of no interest.
    Wasps, and hornets ,the domestic variety, are nowhere near as aggressive as they're painted, unless they're provoked.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

  4. #4
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    2,926
    Likes (Given)
    845
    Likes (Received)
    1143
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    A combination of all of the above, I'd say. You obviously aren't a threat to the nest. It must be far away.
    If they've fixed on feeding and have something sweet to hand, you're of no interest.
    Wasps, and hornets ,the domestic variety, are nowhere near as aggressive as they're painted, unless they're provoked.
    If the wasps are still raising young, they'll be hunting for the aphids, so you are nothing more than a distraction. We held a garden meal for 20 people near a wasp nest once (unknowingly rather than deliberate - we only spotted it after everyone was there) and they ignored us completely. In fact, everyone watched them coming and going with interest as they were about 2' from the table. Later in the season, when they are done raising young, the wasps will start to crave sugary things and start to be far more annoying and they are less likely to take "shove off" for an answer. So, IMHO, you're partially right with respect to wasps. They're fine when they're busy but when they're "unemployed", they turn into trouble-making, annoying chavs and should be purged with fire and death, ideally before they have a chance to multiply. We killed all the queens we found this year instead of letting them go and have been relatively wasp-free. As for hornets, it seems they're generally more chilled out than wasps. We have some nearby somewhere and my wife accidentally headbutted their nest once (which they didn't take well) but normally they seem to just breeze in and clear out again without issue. They kill off lots of annoying things like flies, so they're welcome to hang around.

  5. #5
    Established TDF Member Chrisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    7,566
    Likes (Given)
    712
    Likes (Received)
    3264
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    ... when they're "unemployed", they turn into trouble-making, annoying chavs and should be purged with fire and death, ideally before they have a chance to multiply. We killed all the queens we found this year ..
    Yup. A lesson for life, not just wasps.

  6. #6
    John Touhig Gasmuncher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    271
    Likes (Given)
    237
    Likes (Received)
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I have just been "pruning" some willow in my garden. I use " " because anything in my garden is always more akin to logging than pruning.
    The willows are covered with giant willow aphids again and their leavings are attracting a myriad of sugar loving critters, including hundreds of wasps. When I say hundreds, I am not exaggerating. (Caz, look away now, find something else to occupy you.)
    Despite me hacking at the willow with shears, secateurs, machete and a hedge trimmer, and despite having wasps crawling all over me, (I did warn you Caz.) I did not get stung once.
    So, is it because I am not near their nest? Is it because the willow sap, passed through an aphid, acts a a soporific? Or is it, as I strongly suspect, that wasps are kind gentle, badly maligned creatures?
    I say we take off and nuke the site from space

  7. #7
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Too far from the sea!
    Posts
    9,090
    Likes (Given)
    2512
    Likes (Received)
    5319
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmuncher View Post
    I say we take off and nuke the site from space
    I would agree except that I don't think, even that, would get rid of the brambles.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

  8. #8
    New TDF Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    14
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    6


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •