Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Primary torch - aluminium question

Hi guys, I am in the market for a primary torch using a tank. My current favourites are LFM 4tec, Gralmarine 18W LED and Yellowdiving 20W. In terms of price, they are all in a fairly competitive region. My GUE instructor is a fan of Gralmarine, my buddy dives a YD and is happy with it and the guys at Portland Harbour favour LFM. The one question I have concerns the material: they are all built from aluminium with some Delrin thrown in. Let's say I go on a boat dive off Portland with two dives - I'll be fine rinsing my equipment after returning to the harbour or would I need to clean the aluminium between my first and second dive? Cleaning at the end of the day is good practice, cleaning between the dives would be close to a no-no if you ask me. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You won't need to rinse your equipment between dives. So long as you clean the salt off at the end of the trip (If it was a 2 day trip or a week long trip I would only do this at the end) then you should be fine.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Can I add another related issue: the battery tanks for Gralmarine, and most available tanks for LFM have two RCA outlets. I take it the second outlet is for a heating system, which I will not require. Could I use it for charging with the light head still attached or is this a no-no. Should this concern me - there is one more thing to go wrong - or should I just ignore that. The YD is the only of the three with the switch on the tank rather than on the lamp, but that I don't see as such an issue as long as the switch works and does not turn on accidentally tbh.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I very seldom rinse my kit. All the torches you've mentioned are made out of decent aluminium and don't really rot.

Cheap chinkie crap literally dissolves in sea water and fails after a few dives. The LfM and Gralmarine torches are fine and last a long time.

LfM's after service is pretty poor, repairs taking months.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://www.diverightinscuba.com/100...ght-18965.html or it clones (there is a lot of them ). Reflector behind glas instead of lens made better shape light beam. Aluminium head -aluminium body need silicone noncorrosive grease film.

https://www.amazon.com/SecurityIng-W...2177&s=gateway

funny but this is original from China ( DIRS buy from them with no brand mark and print on theirs )

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred1992 View Post
    Can I add another related issue: the battery tanks for Gralmarine, and most available tanks for LFM have two RCA outlets. I take it the second outlet is for a heating system, which I will not require. Could I use it for charging with the light head still attached or is this a no-no. Should this concern me - there is one more thing to go wrong - or should I just ignore that. The YD is the only of the three with the switch on the tank rather than on the lamp, but that I don't see as such an issue as long as the switch works and does not turn on accidentally tbh.
    The LFM *heater* battery with two outlets and a switch on the bottom... only the Direct connection (non-switched) can be used for charging. This is connected to your torch. The switched connection cannot be used for a torch (as per the warnings & instruction manual).

FYI the switch is fully electronic, so no relays.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lucca brassi View Post
    https://www.diverightinscuba.com/100...ght-18965.html or it clones (there is a lot of them ). Reflector behind glas instead of lens made better shape light beam. Aluminium head -aluminium body need silicone noncorrosive grease film.

https://www.amazon.com/SecurityIng-W...2177&s=gateway

funny but this is original from China ( DIRS buy from them with no brand mark and print on theirs )
    Been using them for around 4 years. Great lights and €30 delivered.
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I really wouldn't buy a LfM.

I can't vouch for the other brands but LfM support is very poor if you have a problem with the light.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    what problem ?

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In my case: ordered in June through their webshop, money charged to the credit card, and then... nothing. No answers, no status update in my account, and of course no lamp. I am getting a little nervous and I realise - customer support in any form or shape really is not their strength. Sending status emails to paid orders should be a basic requirement for a credible webshop. So unless you go through dirdirect, you should probably think that if a spring sale prize sounds too good to be true, it probably is. At least that is what I am finding out at the moment. Who knows, maybe the lamp will turn up before long. I will report back either way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast