Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cutting Webbing to length

What's the best way to cut the harness webbing to the right length?

When I first assembled the harness, I left it long but I cut it with shears, then used a small blowtorch to melt the ends to stop it fraying.
    This left a few bobbles which tend to catch on the edges as I'm threading it through the buckle.

I was thinking that the ideal tool would be a hot knife to cut and seal, but the electric ones are quite expensive.
    So my next thought was to buy a cheap kitchen knife, heat it on the gas hob and use that.

Any advice on the best method of cutting webbing to get a smooth cut?
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use a gas soldering iron. They are about 25-30 with several tips: soldering, flame, hot air, and most importantly for this question, a hot-knife tip. It gets used a fair bit, particularly the hot knife bit though it's also my main (and only) soldering iron too.

It's a lot easier than the burny finger method of cutting with a shears or stantley knife then tidying up with a red hot kitchen knife after. If you are reduced to this, handy hint is a small bowl of cold water to dip your fingers in when they get coated in molten plastic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ooh, I think my (rarely used and probably split) gas soldering iron has a V shaped knife tip! I'd forgotten about that.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Keep it simple, I use a scissors to cut and a quick flash over with a cigarette lighter and flatten the cut while still hot with the side of the scissor blade. You could always ask a grown up to help (blue peter mode )
    Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpj View Post
    Keep it simple, I use a scissors to cut and a quick flash over with a cigarette lighter and flatten the cut while still hot with the side of the scissor blade. You could always ask a grown up to help (blue peter mode )
    I think I was a bit slow with the 'flattening the cut' bit, so the molten blobs went solid before I tried flattening them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In our kitchen draw lives a very knackered tarnished blunt table knife used for just this purpose. With a gas cooker.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Any advice on the best method of cutting webbing to get a smooth cut?
    I just use MrsT's heavy duty sowing scissors then slightly melt the end with a lighter. I've found it doesn't need to be totally melted to not fray and it won't form bubbles/globules if you only slightly melt it. Squishing the globules if they do form (or cutting them off) worked for me.

Established TDF Member bubbleless's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    I just use MrsT's heavy duty sowing scissors then slightly melt the end with a lighter. I've found it doesn't need to be totally melted to not fray and it won't form bubbles/globules if you only slightly melt it. Squishing the globules if they do form (or cutting them off) worked for me.
    This is what I do.. works well.
    I lick my fingers and seal with wet fingers..... be careful, melted nylon can stick and burn...
    No special tools needed

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cut the webbing straight with decent sharp scissors, then trim the corners at 45 degrees before using a lighter.

Less chance of a blob of melt forming on the right angles then, so no need to resort to burnt skin + it's way easier
    to thread